Powerbook...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Eckslusive, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Eckslusive macrumors 6502

Hi! I'm looking into buying an old Powerbook for now, until I can save for a 17"
    I was wondering, which powerbook should I get to run the following programs:
    -InDesign
    -PhotoShop
    -Browsing and Word Processing

Should I get the
    I would probably max out the ram or place in 768 or so. Obviously I should get the fastest, but I have a tight budget and I really need to use those programs on the go.
    Thanks

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well they will run them, i used to run all those apps on my 500mhz g3 powerbook. if you can get us prices and specs on each of the laptops you are looking at we can probably help you weigh out the pros and cons to get you the best for your money.

iJon

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

you would probably find it worth a little extra cash to go for a G4 over a G3, IMHO, though, especially for photoshop (if you're running 7)

4. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

667 DVI

I bought my DVI 667 in august, three (only three aaarrgh!) months before the current 15 inch line up was released, and I haven't had any problems with it at all, it handles Word and the various web browsers I use great, and photoshop runs fine, even with only the 256 MB of Ram I have. I'd say for the money it'd be your best bet, as it has many of the features of the current line up like L3 cache, DVI, and the current slightly larger screen resolution over the original 1152x768

5. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

From what i've seen, as long as your patient and not making a living off your computer, a 500 mhz g4 should serve you fine. A student in the dorm has one and it has no problem doing anything. Super intensive stuff take longer than my 867, but they get done in a reasonable amount of time. You might wanna look at a iBook too, a 700 or 800 mhz G3 can do quite a bit also. Plus it would be new and be under warrenty. just my 2 cents.

6. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

IMHO

I think that you should NOT get anything less the Ti 800, with 1 gig of ram.

I have used the 400 and the 667 and found them to be less than acceptable.

Photoshop demands MAX ram as you surely know.
    I am saving for the ALubook also!

good luck! I am almost there I think I almost have 2700! whew

7. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Re: IMHO

You completly missed the point of this thread. The 667 is plenty fast as long as you have RAM.

8. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: IMHO

what you are talking about is like a 2800 dollar computer, if the guy is looking at used models then he obviously is looking in the 1500 or so range for a used one. dont say no to an alternative computing experience; not everyone can afford what you have suggested.

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: IMHO

i think he is talking in the 22-2400 range, personally, but the guy definitely seems to be looking at 1500 or less, i agree. you did miss the point, Grokgod, and i can bite you, but it'll cost you a trip to austin plus some serious fees, and then i'll turn you in to the cops for attempting to prostitute me. :eek:

11. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

aaanyways, yea my range is about 1500 or less. I dont mind waiting, just as long as its not tooo long.
    Cause i do have a Dual Process G4 1Ghz w/ 1.25 ghz so I would totally tell the difference.
    Mmmm..how bout I get the
    500 w/ maxed out ram...how fast will that be?

Damn, I really need to try a slow one out...

12. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, i would definitely try a photoshop demo out on any machine before you buy it. that should be pretty obvious ;)

13. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

14. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

If you are saving up for 17", you should just get cheapest one, since all three will those applications just fine. If you plan on doing anything with video, then you should opt for 667 DVI.

15. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

ah, true. sorry. do you have any friends with oldish powerbooks?

16. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

for the 400, 500 and 667; if we are talking Rev A(400 & 500) and Rev B(667) i would have to suggest the 400 or 500 over the 667. the small L2 cache caused the Rev B books to be real slugs with DSP(photoshop filters, audio, etc). i had the RevB 550 and i watched it get SPANKED by a RevA 400 many times. you will have a weaker graphics card and ethernet though. i guess you have to prioritize. if however you are talking RevC 667 then definitely go for that.

17. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

The 667 DVI is a nice machine, but i think that a 500 REV A with lots of RAM would do the job quite well. If its just to hold you over for a year, it should do the job. I agree with avoiding the 550 rev B, its probley the slowest powerbook g4 made.

18. backspinner macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I have one :( But you're right, it's not the fastest one. After the buy I always wondered where my cache/cash went...

19. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

kudos on that pun man, i laughed for a good bit. cache/cash tends to eat itself up like that.