Powerbooks and digital raws (11Mp Tiffs, D2X NEFs and Photoshop CS2)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by javiercr, Aug 6, 2005.

1. javiercr macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2005
    I have a PB 12" 1.33Gz with 768Mb of RAM. I have been playing with some scanned pictures (equivalent to 11 megapixels) and with some Nikon NEFs from a Nikon D2X (12 megapixels). I am using 10.3 and Photoshop CS2, CS2 already pushes the PB quite a bit and with this images if does quite slow, specially with the high megapixel NEFs (it works well with 6mp NEFs).

Does it work any better with the newer PBs? Would more memory make a significant difference? (opoening a 50Mb image with 768Mb of RAM should be enough) anybody using a DX2 and a powerbook?
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I think you'd be pushing a lot of laptops when editing 12MP digital images.

Getting more RAM might help, although I think it may be the proc.

I don't think you're going to get the performance you're looking for out of the 1.67GHz G4 PBs either, so if the next update pushes the PB to 1.8GHz, then okay, it'll definitely be much much better than 1.33GHz.
  3. moliere macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2005
    I'm using an automator workflow I downloaded off the 'net to convert my RAW Nikon images to photoshop files (I have a D70s). Works great since I can just leave it in the background while I work on other stuff. I can look the automator thingy for you if you're interested.
  4. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    Your computer has a 4200 RPM HD and the current ones have the faster 5400RPM drives. That might help with the photos.