Powerbooks before MWNY?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by LawnWrangler, Mar 22, 2002.

1. LawnWrangler macrumors newbie

Do you think they will save up the new powerbooks for NY or maybe do them before...I dont remember the last upgrade being that big of a deal. Unless they do some really good stuff with the G4, do you think they could release it before hand? Everyone seems to be pretty fed up with the current line.

-LW

2. Mac DV macrumors newbie

"Hey man just because its a front doesn't mean no one has to do the actual lawn work."

my best approximation of:

Dignon(Owen Wilson), BR

lol

Nice name Lawnwrangler.

As far as the powerbook...who knows. I'd love to see it happen though, as I'm planning on buying one in a few months.

Mac DV

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: Powerbooks before MWNY?

I think Apple will absolutely release the Powerbooks before Macworld New York 2002. I came to this conclusion from a few ideas. The Apple Powermac G4 2002 came out just after an Expo, and a Combo Drive update to the Powerbooks came halfway between Expos.

In response to citations that Arn requested for (2) and (4), this was from the January and February sections (2002) of www.macosrumors.com

It does not take a genius to figure it out . . . just someone who uses a Mac.

What a long post!

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I think Apple might not bother with new ones till NY then release a tornado of new products and updates.

A Big one even by San Franciscos standards

Ensign

5. DP500G4 macrumors newbie

Doubt it...

Im sure they will wait for NY

-Ted

6. msykes macrumors newbie

I hope so!

I sure hope they release a new one sooner... how about WWDC in May? That's when they released the Lombards in 1999... it's already been plenty long since they updated the Ti, and I'm dieing to buy one! (promised I would wait for the next update).

Besides, who here actually thinks Apple can deal with more than one major product introduction at a time? I mean they have a hard enough time shipping things on time normally. Imagine if they introduce new iBooks, powerbooks, iMacs and powermacs all at the same time like some people here think will happen....

Introduced: July 2002
    Shipping: 1st quarter 2003

msykes

7. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

I'm with you msykes. Apple will probably not introduce new models to all four line-ups at MWNY. It would be too much at the same time. I'm guessing PowerBooks some time before the expo. New towers and iBooks at MWNY, and updated iMacs after MWNY, maybe Seybold....

My 2 ¢

8. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Msykes, that was true and funny!

I think that put in it in perfect perceptive!
    Can you imagine Apple bringing out multiple new products at the same time.
    Yea the powerbook and the powermac upgrades would make Jobs trip off the stage.

This perfectly explains what will come out and when!

Just line everything up in the order that Apple can handle without totally
    flubbing it. Just ruin any opportunities that it creates. Two steps forward and three steps back is the method of operations at Apple.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Apple WWDC

There is the Apple World Wide Developers Conference in May (6 - 10), which would be a great time, a couple of months before MWNY. If Jobs does a keynote then, I'd place my bets on it happening.

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

If apple is planning on two new powerbook models, they could release the 733 with new hardware first before the mwny and let the initial buying frenzy and manufacture start-up problems get sorted out, and then release the 867 at mwny. That way, Apple gets twice the media exposure and two buying frenzies out of what is really one upgrade.

With the imac, they released the top of the line first, announced the other models. This lead to lots of people with long long waits on lower end models, and the machine that was supposed to be the flag bearer had all sorts of manufacture start-up problems. They would have been better off having the low end machines associated with the problems rather than the "best" one.

11. msykes macrumors newbie

They could, but I hope that the next Powerbook causes less production problems that the iMac. I think the iMac was so tricky because of the vastly new enclosure. If the form factor of the Ti remains the same, there shouldn't be any major shortages, so no need to restrain supply of one of the models. I don't see Apple doing this to artifically generate publicity, since this is liable to piss people off more than anything.

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: Msykes, that was true and funny!

Ol' Stevie is trippin' ON the stage. :D

13. jthrasher macrumors member

I don't think that is very likely. The reason they did that with the iMac is because it was a brand spankin new model. They won't be changing the powerbook I don't think until the G5's are announced and even then it might take a while. The powerbooks design still as a lot of life left in it.

My prediction is that they will definately announce before MWNY. They have to. We already know they they said they are going to be announcing products outside of Expos. Obviously they can't announce upgrades accross the line at MWNY and powerbooks are definately first in line for an upgrade. As for specs I have no clue what they will be but I will definatetly be buying one. I'm long over due for an upgrade.

That's my 2¢

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

there has to be an update of the TiBooks before NY. the 667MHz Powerbook is a long way behind the PowerMac line. it also seems reasonable that Apple will release it in April so it is constantly releasing products and keeping its name out there. alot of PC users paid attention when the G4 iMac was released. And alot more PC users will be interested in Apple when they see that they are constantly releasing products.

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: I hope so!

msykes has a valid point...apple seems to be slow meeting demand right now and until it can do that, they may even have to hold things off, except for a g5 tower, until next year

and i do hope that apple does introduce a new tower/desktop by the end of this year

16. Delenn macrumors newbie

Maybe the reason the PowerBooks have been so late on release is because of the heat problems. After all, can't forget that the only thing that is limiting releases isn't only because of marketing issues, but technological... The 667MHz had enough overheating problems, if you bump it up to 867MHz, it has the opportunity to get MIGHTY hot.

17. bonehead macrumors regular

I just checked the Apple Online Store and the ship time for a 667 Tibook has gone from 1-2 days to 5 days. Could this mean they getting ready to release an updated Tibook in the next few weeks? Discuss.

bonehead

18. bonehead macrumors regular

Should have typed "they are getting ready". It's late.

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

ummm.... why would that signify that?

20. bonehead macrumors regular

I have read in another thread that the ship time for a product increases before an update is released. Allegedly this is because they are tooling up for the update and have fewer "old" units in the pipeline. I have no idea if any of this is true and was wondering if someone could shed some light on the subject.

21. iGav macrumors G3

I think......

We may see updated Ti Books before MWNY only if they are small upgrades, such as a slight speed boost or bigger harddrive!! Not really Keynote material is it?? "Now for something really amazing...... I bring you the 733Mhz Powerbook G4 for with a 80Gb Hardrive" Well that would kill 15 seconds.....:p

I think if they have plans such as big speed increase, radical graphics, built-in blue tooth, faster bus, superdrive, dual processor option, different colour, or better still chrome finish!! (not all of the above but some!!) Then we may see that on the Keynote, or just released at MWNY......

More silent fans would be nice though!!! My Rev a 500Mhz Ti book's fan is on almost continously when I'm doing heavy DV or Post work!!! Maybe a Dual Fan option!!:p

Or bulit in Nano-Refrigeration-Unit......:D

22. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i reckon that they will only be small updates. hopefully they will release something before MWNY, even if it only is small changes. is there any chance of Apple releasing a update now and then a bigger update at New York? what do you think?

23. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

its true i think-- part of Job's attempt to ship things on time. I'm pretty sure i read that the wait for iMacs was 3 weeks in some places, right before they announced the new one... 5 days tho? who knows, could simply be a problem at one of the plants--wouldn't get my hopes up...

pnw

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Well, shoot, my hopes are up. I've been jonesing for a powerbook ever since I got fed up with my PC and windoze. I'm ready to give bill gates the boot, but don't want to buy an older product, I want something new. So, Apple, if'n y'all can hear me, you've got a customer just waiting for a revision.

I'd really like to make sure that the bluetooth is built in though, and I'd like to see firewire 2 (if Apple intends on pushing that as the "next" standard for connectivity). The usb bluetooth thing looks like a hemorroid on an otherwise pretty, well, you know what I mean.

25. PaulRod macrumors newbie

Powerbooks - soon

A friend of mine know an Apple employee that has the opportunity to purchase TiBooks, in any config, for $2399 for the 667 Mhz model... ship time is quoted as 1-2 days...

A guy at work ordered one and got it in 2 days...

From what I understand, Apple offers it's employees machines, just before a new revision is due, to help clear out inventory...

anyone verify this???