Powerbooks, External Displays, and VRAM

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lorkp, Jul 26, 2005.

1. lorkp macrumors member

From what I've read, I can see that a Powerbook's available VRAM will split between the built-in display and the external display when an external display is attached. Here's my question though: Will the external display use all of the available VRAM if the Powerbook is run in lid-closed mode?

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

If the PowerBook is in "clamshell" mode, then yes, the external display will use all the VRAM.

3. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

In clamshell mode, can you hook up two monitors to the Powerbook to really increase Real Estate.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

How do you do that with only one DVI port?

I was playing today and splitting the 64MB card between the two displays (inbuilt and 20"ACD) works wonderfully. You get all the eye-candy goodness (like the ripple effect etc on both screens) and there doesn't seem to be any noticeable slowdown. I'd imagine the 128MB cards would drive the displays wonderfully though :).

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Simple, you don't.

6. zach macrumors 65816

zach

If you're willing to use SVideo out, I think there's actually a hack to allow two external displays.

7. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

There's also a PC Video card that has DVI output (even dual DVI outputs) so you can add 1 or 2 LCDs to the powerbook, in addition to the DVI out. I forget the link, but it uses a card with 32 MB video memory.

8. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Find that link, please!

9. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

10. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Well, the 12" doesn't come with a PCI card. Does it come with S Video out?

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

No it doesn't.

12. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Ohhh thats a bummer. The only good aspects of a Powerbook aren't available on a 12", that really sucks. But probably udnerstandable considering their size. I don't know if they have room to fit much more without it overheating.

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Apple do sell a mini DVI to Video adapter at the store that will do that though. It's mini DVI to composite or S-video :)

edited as I was totally wrong about there not being a powerbook adapter :eek:.

14. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I wish there was a way to turn the iBook screen off to let the hack give all the VRAM to the external monitor. That guy should put that in his hack. I don't like clamshell mode. :(

15. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Can you run clamshell mode with the hack on an iBook? Because with my powerbook I can start the clamshell mode, give all the VRAM to the external display, then lift the screen on the powerbook and it will stay completely black and turned off. If you can run clamshell, I don't see why this wouldn't work.