PowerBooks g4 17 lcd

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mono, Apr 8, 2005.

1. mono macrumors newbie

Apr 8, 2005
    My dream came true. I bought pb 17'. It's a bit used. Everything works fine.

It's used and it have a defect or something else. My LCD has a problem, in the left side of screen there is a 3 pixel vertical white colored line. I dont think that it is a defect in the screen. LCD has no other problems only these lines.

When i turning on pb or restarting this line slightly lights up to white color. For some reason i thing that there is no contact somewhere.

Maybe someone had this kind of problem, or had tried to fix it?

p.s. maybe it had fallen from table?
  2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Stuck pixels are not uncommon in LCD displays, Apple will replace a screen with a significant number (well over 10 I believe).

Dead pixels tend to be black or dark grey, it sounds like you have stuck pixels which can sometimes be "massaged" back into life. Try rubbing the area with the ball of your thumb, it may reset one or more.

Otherwise 3 pixels isn't bad at all, I wouldn't worry about it, you have a great machine there, enjoy it.
  3. mono thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 8, 2005
    no its not a dead pixel... i just wrote in bad way. it must be like - 3 pixel wide vertical line. not only 3 pixels.
  4. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    That could be a poorly-seated ribbon cable connector to the LCD, but more likely there is a defect/damage to the panel that is causing the pixels not to switch. Since it sounds like a used or refurb PB, you might have to live with it or pay for the repair/replacement yourself. I'd suggest taking it to an Apple store and asking if they'd at least tell you what's wrong with it, so you can investigate whether or not it can be repaired for a decent price.

EDIT: do you have access to another monitor? Maybe at work or a friend or another of your computers? If you hook it up to an external display, it shouldn't reproduce this line. If it does, it could be a GPU problem (very unlikely, but also very expensive to correct).
  5. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2003
    thats actually incorrect. Apple has no specific policy on dead pixels. Which is better than having such a policy with a specific number.
  6. point665 macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2004