PowerBooks: How do YOU keep yours Kool ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Prabz, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Prabz macrumors member

Sep 25, 2003
    Meri PHILLY meri jaan!
    Hi! I'm looking for inexpensive & more importantly, efficient ways
    to keep the bottom of a 15-inch powerbook cool. Any opinionz/suggestions on this would be appreciated!

Thanks, gang!
  2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
  3. shakespeare macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2002
    Portland, Maine
    I use an iCurve, an Apple Wireless Keyboard, and a Logitech MX700. It's groovy.

On the road, I just try to make sure that it's not any soft surfaces like laps or blankets - keeping it ventilated seems to do the trick.
  4. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    Re: PowerBooks: How do YOU keep yours Kool ?

The cheapest, fastest, and easiest way is of course to simply turn off the machine for a bit. However a much more practical method of cooling off your 'book would to place it on top of some books, or on a cool surface that allows air underneath; say something like the kitchen counter; or you can place it on top of some hardcover books, making sure to have space underneath the book for ventilation.

Or you can buy any of a number of products that allow you to place the 'book on a stand, with fans beneath the book cooling it off. Like this product for example: http://macmice.com/ibreeze.html

Hope that helps.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
  6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    I have something like the iBreeze and it works quite well... if youre not doing too much with the computer (ie playing games) the internal fans dont even come on.
  7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    The only time mine ever gets warm is when I spend a few hours playing a game on it, and even then it is just warm and the fans never once come on (I don't even know what they would sound like). All I use is a $10 CoolPad traveler to prop it an inch off my bed when I use it, too.