PowerBooks in Stores

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Cam59, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Cam59 macrumors member

I was wondering if the powerbooks in the apple stores are the new version or are they the old ones?

2. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

They should be the new versions. Of course, if you're asking about the powerbooks out on display, whether the Stores have the latest on display or maybe have just kept to the old for display purposes, there's an easy way to tell. Just point/click the mouse at the apple symbol in the upper left-hand corner. Pick "About this Mac." 12" powerbooks with a 1.33 processer are the latest, Rev C, 15" powerbooks that are either 1.33 combos or 1.5 superdrives are the latest Rev B.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The Apple Store in Salem, NH has the new ones out. I didn't check them all, but the few I looked at were new.

4. Cam59 thread starter macrumors member

Ok cool. I was wondering because I started up Microsoft Word on the 12 inch powerbook and it took 30 seconds to load. I wasnt sure if thats normal for the new models or if it is the older and slower models.

5. wide macrumors 6502a

That shouldn't happen on any new computer, at least if you are paying $1500+ on that computer. It was probably just out of sleep mode or it was idle for a long time.

In the Apple Store NYC, they have a combinations of Rev (A), B, and C PowerBooks. You have to go to system info to determine which one, but sometimes it is evident based on their quality (i.e. how bent their screen is, how worn down their keyboard/touchpad is, how dirty is it, how scratched it is, and how dented it is).

6. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

Damn straight! My two-year-old iMac 700mhz can start up Word in 10 seconds. I don't know why that powerbook took thirty seconds. Even a Rev A 12" should've been able to launch Word up in less than 30 seconds.

UNLESS...it might have had minimum RAM and a lot of other programs running. That's all I can think. Macs, any Mac, really needs at least 512 to run at optimal speed. We are talking a display model, yes? Probably minimal RAM and a maximum number of heavy programs. And I doubt that it's been well maintained. If anything's wrong with it, the staff might not know or notice. Apple Stores are busy places and display models come and go.

7. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Based on all the abuse a display model receives, at the very least, you should reboot it before you try and test anything.