PowerBook's new PC rival--designed by Porsche

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jordonringel, Oct 26, 2002.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Hope Porsche doesn't quit there day job. Stick to the 911.

iJon

2. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I don't understand why people think this will hurt Apple. I am a longtime PC user waiting for Nov. 5th to make the switch. I have absolutely no interest in this notebook. It looks ok, but it is coming from a company that has no history. I would buy a Dell way before this notebook. My Dells have lasted for years without a hardware failure. (Before you discount my post by that statement I have been using a latitude personally for 5 years. I have had clients with trouble on different models, but I wait and buy the models that give me the least trouble at my clients offices.)

And that brings me to my point. (I am sure I have bored most of ya'll already.) The Switch campaign and my reasons for switching are purely to buy a computer with OS X from Apple. I want something that will last and I won't have to fix. OS X and Virtual PC have solved all of my compatibility problems. (And they are big since I mainly service PC's) In fact the ability to boot all kinds of OS's in virtual PC was one of the selling points. (I kinda liked the size of the iBook before, but the more I thought about it, I want the fastest I can get to run Virtual PC. (And I am not going to run 9 even though it is faster. I like having a command prompt. :D

What started this Rant was seeing a post mentioning that the PC looking powerbook would take a bite out of the switch campaign. Well I have yet to see a powerbook on a switch commercial. They just talk about the OS. And at last check, Darwin doesn't run Aqua on PC's.

:p

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Exactly. That is why I don't think it is going to compete with the powerbook.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

If anything in my opinion that is better than the TiBook is Alienwares Computer. It has everything you would want, for a windows machine though. the only thing that sucks about it is it weighs alot

iJon

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

This is not the same Porsche as the car company. It's just an engineering firm, with a founder who happens to be a cousin of the car guy. This design firm has been building computers for quite some time, mainly on the professional level. My dad'd company bought computers from them in the early 90's, mainly because they were top of the line in accounting at the time. Very expensive.