Powerbooks only after March 27th...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by idkew, Mar 3, 2004.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    This seems to me to prove we will see no new powerbooks until a month at least after march 27. apple will not give great deals on brand new hardware, but will also not release a new machine on the 28th, as that would look a but un-nice.

my problem, and reason for posting, is that my Rev B TiBook is dying. i did not get applecare, as i have never needed it in the past, so it is a new powerbook for me. i have this horrible feeling that my tibook is going to die just before a new update/g5s. i really do NOT want a new powerbook, especially the horribly underpowered ones offered right now. (oh- lets not debate the poor performance for the powerbooks here, we all know they are well behind the g5 and the wintel world). while a new laptop will, no doubt, be better than my current one, i would really much rather wait for an update.

so- i am putting into electrons, powerbooks will be here april or may. g5s. i just hope my powerbook will last that long.... anyone with me on this one?

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

That is not undeniable proof that no update will happen, but then I don't expect PowerBook updates until April anyway. PowerMacs in March, yes, but it's only been 5 months since the previous PB updates.

If you wait however, you will not be able to participate in the offer, which sounds like a good deal to me, so I'd be inclined to get rid of that dying PowerBook now while you can before it conks completely. Then you have saved yourslef $700 (or something like that?) on one of the current models. A G5 is very unlikely to come out in the next revision anyway so you'd probably be best to upgrade now (or actually on the 27th of March, just in case!)

And, despite what you say, the current G4 PowerBooks are nice machines and faster than people give credit. They will be much faster than your PowerBook (533 or 667MHz). You never know, the G5 PowerBook (when it is released at the end of the year or early '05) may not be much faster if they have to 'cripple it' with a 1.6GHz G5 or similar.

3. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i think this is what i will end up doing... but, i might as well wait a bit more, as i can still use my powerbook.

4. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

I am still holding to the conventional thinking that the next update will be the final G4, late March/early April and the G5 powerbook in Sept./Oct.

My opinion is worth no more than the electrons it is written on. :(