PowerBook's Screen

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by juhani, Mar 28, 2005.

1. juhani macrumors member

juhani

I'm using the newest 12" PB and when I turn the screen brightness all the way down to zero using those function keys (F1 & F2) then I'm still able to see the desktop, although it's very, very dim. So why is it so? I mean is there any reason why the screen doesn't switch itself completely off or go to sleep?

Also an interesting fact: when I switch off all the lights in my room and make it completely blind, I cannot see anything on the screen when the brightness is turned down. I see the desktop only when the room is considerably bright. That made me think that the screen might use brightness from outside of the machine to show items on the screen instead of using the computer's own energy to light the screen. Or it doesn't make sense at all? :(

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The display brightness only controls the backlight. It does not send the display to sleep. When you turn the backlight all the way down it turns it right off. The display can be slept using controls in the Energy Saver preference panel.

3. juhani thread starter macrumors member

juhani

Well that's actually what I'm saying, that it seems that it doesn't go off when I turn it all the way down. I'm still able to see the picture on my screen. Yes, very dimly indeed, but I can.. at least when there's some light in the room. What I'd like to know, is WHY is it so??? Is there any particular reason for that???

4. Logik macrumors 6502a

it's a BRIGHTNESS control. not a "turn my monitor off" control. It does it it because that's what it does. It's for controlling the brightness of the screen (which is maintained using the backlight). Your screen is using very little power when the backlight is off. I believe even PC laptops do this, they just don't allow you to turn the brightness down as much, which is what is so "decieving" to you. My dell had like 5 settings .. readable, kinda readable, if you're in the dark you can read, if you've got the best eyes in the world, and horrible.

If you want your screen off, put the thing to sleep either by putting the powerbook to sleep or by going to the energy settings and setting things up appropriately.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

He said it controls the backlight, not the display.

The backlight is just like round knob controlling the light in a dining room, turn it all the way down -- the light goes off. But if there is still enough light in the room you can still read a book.

The backlight is just a diffused light bulb shining through the screen...

6. juhani thread starter macrumors member

juhani

No offence, really! I was just curious...

7. juhani thread starter macrumors member

juhani

Right.. i got it now.

8. Logik macrumors 6502a

oh no problem i was just trying to add a bit of "emphasis" to it so you clearly understood that it's not exactly what it does it's just a brightness control and has nothing to do with turning the monitor on and off. why it does this isn't something i can answer.. just a design decision i imagine.