Powerbooks shutting off

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by erics_son, Jan 9, 2003.

1. erics_son macrumors newbie

Quick question here...
    My desk neighbour has a very early TiBook. This has the very annoying feature of turning it's self off if you pick it up and move when its not plugged into any thing...
    This is obviously a very rubbish bug.
    Can anyone assure me that Apple have fixed this bug in current Powerbooks (ie One's on sale now, not ones released on tuesday)...

ta
    Steve

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

That's a hardware issue: the tibook is damaged. Suggest that he get repairs made, this sounds like a rather serious problem. I'd imagine it doesn't shut down very gracefully-- the power just cuts off. Probably a loose wire somewhere... Can't be difficult to have repaired...

As for the current tibooks... computers just break sometimes. Somewhere someone will have a problem like this, it's just going to happen when you're mass-producing something as delicate as a laptop...

:)
    pnw

3. mmoin macrumors regular

I experienced the same problem. Some of the Revision A Powerbook G4's (some of the 400mhz and 500mhz models) have defective batteries with substandard contacts. I briefly owned a G4 400 Tibook about 2 years ago and solved this problem by calling Apple, which shipped out a replacement battery and a return box to ship back the defective battery.

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

This problem has been fixed since revision B. The 15" PowerBook is now at revision D, and the 12" and 17" are all-new (which would make them revision A again, I guess).