Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Hmmm,

My brother was burning a DVD last night and it was burning at 4x. He has a 1.33GHz 12" PB (Rev.C?) and was using some 8x-rated DVD+R discs we got on sale at Microcenter. Has anyone else had luck with +Rs?

The Pioneer DVR-107D drive in my G4 tower is much less picky about media and reliably burns faster (8x) - it's too bad that laptop drives are so flaky.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Boy a lot of PB/iBook superdrives suffer this fate but also using media that will offer the drive its choice of speed doesn't help either. Using media with a rating of say..1-16x will often burn at 1-4x, depends on your drive as well. So I have been buying Verbatium 16x or the 8x hub printable dvds for the last 6mths. and haven't had a problem with speed issues.
Also I bought an exterenal LaCie 16x burner just cause if anything goes wrong with either burner/Mac I will still have a way to burn until the problem is fixed. As of yet I haven't tried to use my new iMacs SD so maybe I should give it a go and see what happens with speeds :rolleyes: Well when I do I'll post any findings of slower speeds if it happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.