Powerbook's USB enough to power a scanner?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Applespider, May 9, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Having now got all my digital photos into some kind of order, I'm considering scanning in (over a period of time) my old-style film photos so that I might occasionally look at them rather than having them all sitting in a box at the back of a cupboard.

I'm looking at the Canoscan Lide 35 because since you can use it vertically, it shouldn't take up too much space. It's powered by USB2.0 though. Does anyone know if my AlBook's USB ports will provide enough juice for it to work?

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I have an LIDE 50 and it works fine with my iBook; I imagine you won't have any problems with your PB and the 35.

3. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

forgive me for sounding a bit silly, but how do you use a scanner vertically?

wouldn't things just slide off?

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i use an earlyier modle canon and it works fine bus powered off my ibook g3 which has a dvd burner and an 80GB 5400rpm HD.

5. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Thanks guys. Can now broaden the search to USB powered scanners without too much concern.

Having not bought a scanner since the mid-90s, I'm astonished at how much more impressive/cheap modern ones are!

6. JonMaker macrumors regular

I have said scanner, and it works fine for me over USB 1.1 on an original iMac G4.

The only caveat is that you need powered USB. As far as I know, all powered USB is the same.

You should be fine. :)

7. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I have a CanoScan N676U and it is perfectly capable of working off the power from my Titanium 500.