PowerMac 1.8 ($1274) or 20" iMac ($1799)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rick Friele, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Rick Friele macrumors member

I was planning on getting the 20" iMac with my EDU discount until they announced the single processor 1.8 PowerMac. My brother in laws friend has a friend who works at Apple who can get me his friends and family discount or whatever it is. He can get the PowerMac 1.8 for $1274 and a 20" Cinema Display for $999. I am thinking that is a screaming deal over the iMac just for the expandability alone. He can't get a discount on the iMac yet because it is on backorder (3-4 weeks). I don't plan on using the high end pro apps (Motion, etc.), but will be doing work with Final Cut, Soundtrack, etc. where the iMac might struggle down the road with the video card. I am thinking with the money I save on the PowerMac it will be a better investment.

What do you all think?

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

PowerMac defiantly.

You don't have to use an Apple display, you could always buy a LCD from newegg.com or Dell. :eek:

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Powermac is the way to go. Its lifespan will be twice as long with the ability to upgrade. Plus if you want to do some real gaming you can put a real videocard in it rather then being stuck with Fx5200 garbage.

4. Rick Friele thread starter macrumors member

But I love the look of the Apple displays :)

5. Rick Friele thread starter macrumors member

What I want to make sure is that the single 1.8 is not going to hinder me from using any of the prosumer apps a few years from now (provided I keep the video card and RAM up to par, obviously).

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't see what difference that makes in your case, you were gonna get the 20" imac, which has a 1.8GHz anyway :confused:

7. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I would get the tower and the display, not the iMac. You have more ram slots and expandability with the tower, plus, the 20" alu display is so beautiful, expecially compared the the G5 iMac, which looks like a big ugly hunk of acrylic.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Powermac. I can't think of a single reason to go for the imac except that it will be cheaper, but if cost is really an issue you can go for a cheaper display and then it will be the same. And the powermac is more expandable plus you can keep either the display or the powermac without keeping the other. The powermac has equally good tech specs in all regards and even a faster superdrive. Definitely the powermac.