PowerMac 2.3 or 2.7 ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by solarium99, May 2, 2005.

1. solarium99 macrumors newbie

Here's the situation..I have $3000 to spend on a computer. I am a student so I can get the 2.3 for $2299 or the 2.7 for $2699. The question is: should I spend the extra $400 on the 2.7 or use that money to get a lot of RAM for the 2.3? I will mostly be using the computer for Logic 7 Pro and I need to get as much power as possible for my money. On the other hand I don't want to rebuy for at least a couple of years. Which should I get?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Go the RAM path. It'd be nice to say you have the fastest Mac out there but I reckon you'll get more of a speed benefit from maxing out that RAM. Either way, you'll be getting an awesome machine. You might already know this, but Apple will overprice their RAM for you, so maybe check out other stores first.

3. solarium99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply...still kind of unsure of what to do. I'm thinking that after the $2700 2.7 I would still have $300 left for RAM. Would that be enough or would I need to get more in the future?

4. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Remember, tax will be applied to your order on the Apple Store online site, so it isn't just $2799... You might want to go with the 2.3 GHz system and then use the extra money for RAM at Crucial.com as the second post in this thread mentioned.