PowerMac 6500

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Sloth, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Sloth macrumors newbie

Wow. I seem to have problems with old Macs. Don't you just envy me for my wonderful problems?

Anyhooters, this one is for a PowerMac 6500/250. One night, I was using my PowerMac, and I accidentally bumped it with my foot (and I was wearing steel-toe boots at the time...) and it continued to work just fine until I shut it off. The next day, I went back and turned it on, and I heard the startup chime, and nothing happened. I could hear the whirring from the tower, but the monitor light was orange, and the green light on the tower wasnt on.

Its not the battery, cuz I replaced that after it died, to see if that was it. I also tried removing the processor upgrade, and still got nothing.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong?

If its relevant, it has 128MB RAM, a Crescendo G3/500 processor upgrade, USB card, all of which are firmly seated, and were fully operational when the machine was working.

2. Sloth thread starter macrumors newbie

Nobody knows?

C'mon, there has to be someone out there who can help. no? Oh well. I guess I'll try another forum.

3. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Something similar happened to my compwer computing power center pro...it was the logic board, which was totally fried and needed to be replaced

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

5. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

try starting from the system cd?

check the monitor cable - make sure none of the pins got bent... make sure it's in all the way (I'm sure you've done that).

See if the computer is working other than the monitor... what I mean is, wait a long enough time so that it would have started up, use key commands to open some folders and see if the HD is clicking.

if you have access to another monitor, try that.

Kick it again? Maybe this time from the other side...

6. Sloth thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm...

I'm not all that omnipotent with hardware. What does the PRAM look like, and how is it reset?

I have tried using another monitor, and it doesnt work. I know that the normal monitor works, cuz I can use it with my laptop...

If all else fails, and I can't find a "new" motherboard, I'll try kicking it from the other side.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

this knowledgebase document explains how to reset PRAM:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

basically, you restart holding down the command+option+P+R keys. The computer will keep restarting as long as you hold down those keys. I'd recommend letting it restart 2 or 3 times before letting it boot all the way to the desktop. But it's all explained clearly in that document.

8. Sloth thread starter macrumors newbie

9. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

If that doesn't work open your mac by taking your mothereboard out . Theres a littlew red button. That should reset the pram, powermanagement and other things. It does a much better job than ressetin the pram.

10. Sloth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who helped me. I tried all of that stuff, and then, i tried resetting the PRAM, and it works just like new. :)