PowerMac 7100/80 G3 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rabidjade, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Rabidjade macrumors member

As mentioned previously this is my first experience with Macs and I landed a few of them in a recent bulk purchase.

Anyways, I have a few of these systems and they have G3 card upgrades. I was told by a Mac vetran that the card in the brown slot in these is a G3 upgrade and the sticker ("Upgraded With a G3 Card") put on the back kind of goes along with this. However, there is no markings on the cards and some of the systems have different looking cards. How can I tell what the upgrade speed is? I've searched numerous websites that people have refered me to but that was no help. I plan on auctioning these systems off and like to be honest in the specs when I sell them. Thanks! :)

2. Luckster macrumors member

I don't know if it works for upgrade cards, but if you are running under OS 9 you can use Apple System Profiler (found under the Apple menu). It should be able to give you the full systems specs.

3. Rabidjade thread starter macrumors member

I was trying to find out without using software since I got several of these systems and don't have the time to load OS9 on all of them.

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

If you can install Mac OS 9 on one Macintosh and switch the processor cards installed in the PDS slot (the brown slot) around then you can still find out what the speed of the cards are without installing Mac OS 9 a bunch of times.

Or if you can boot off of the Mac OS 9 CD and maybe get the Apple System Profiler Application to run to see the card's speed that will work. But, I think it's not acceptable on the CD, it's probably inside a tome file or something. Maybe put the application on zip disk. The program is 1.6 megs so it can't fit on a floppy unless you want to try and use DropSegment which will just be more of a pain. Try the switching cards option.

-Steve :D

5. Rabidjade thread starter macrumors member

What are the specs to OS8 and OS9, what can they be installed on? I got copies of both when I bought this lot.

I kinda go by the saying "how do I know what to install when I need to install it to find out what I have"

PS: How do I tell the speed of the processor(s), the above info only tells virtual memory and ram size from what I could tell.