PowerMac and Radeon questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tubedogg, Jan 22, 2005.

1. tubedogg macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
    What outputs does the ATI Radeon 9800 XT/256MB that is currently offered as an option on the G5 have? I can't find a 9800 XT Mac edition listed on ATI's site, just the 9800 Pro and the X800 XT. I'm looking for a card that has at least one VGA output as I only have CRT monitors right now...can't afford an Apple display right now (really wish I could) and I've heard bad things about using VGA<->DVI adaptors.

Second question, is the G5's processor user-upgradable at all? I've built my own PC previously, so I'm familiar with that kind of thing, but is it even doable? I have relatively little to spend right now so I'm thinking about the single 1.8GHz model, but it would be nice if it were upgradable in the future.

Thanks for any help!
  2. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Take a look at this page in the section titled 'Graphics':

The output ports on the Radeon 9800 XT are DVI and ADC. Apple bundles a DVI to VGA converter with the PowerMac G5s. I'm currently using it to connect my G5 up to a Philips 109P 19" CRT, and to my eyes it does a fine job. Never had any type of problem with it. Note that DVI to VGA converters are quite different to VGA to DVI converters.

As far as anyone knows at the moment, the CPU card in the PowerMac G5 systems, while being removable, is not user upgradable. It may be possible that upgrade companies like Sonnet and Powerlogix may produce G5 upgrade cards in the future, but this is not certain. I remember reading an interview with a representative from Sonnet months ago, and they said they were interested in developing G5 CPU upgrade kits, but at the moment there was insufficient demand for them to release a product just yet (since the PowerMac G5s are still relatively new).
  3. tubedogg thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
    D'oh! I didn't even think to look on the specs page. Thanks for that. :eek: Good to hear experience about using it with a CRT, that makes me less nervous.

Thanks for the info.