Powermac B&w issue

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macg4, Oct 6, 2005.

1. macg4 macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Des Moines,Iowa
    Alright i have a strange issue with my Powermac B&w. when i turns on i makes the happy apple sound and come to blinking apple/folder. When trying to boot from a hd that has os 9, it wont boot. when trying to boot from a os9 cd it wont boot. when using a os 10.X cd it boots right away. i have tried different hds, cd drivers, ide cables, etc... resetting pram, taking cmos battery out. any ideas? bad motherboard?
  2. jMc macrumors 6502

Nov 19, 2001
    London N8, Late-16th Century
    I bought a second hand B&W earlier this year that was exhibiting this exact same problem. Turned out to be a bad RAM stick. In my case it was easy to identify the culprit (well, easy once I thought about trying the RAM), because there were three Apple sticks and one dodgy looking generic one. As soon as I removed that stick, everything was fine. The (upgraded) B&W is now acting very nicely as my media server.

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    Yup definatly sounds RAM related, i had a the same probelm with a bad stick of RAM when i had a Graphite G4....Just experiment with the RAM and it should fix the problem,