Powermac : Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by tompatros, Dec 10, 2002.

1. tompatros macrumors newbie

Saw a similar thread for the Powerbook earlier today...

I'm in the market for a PowerMac - should I buy now or wait for the new hotness if/when it arrives?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Well, when do you need it? If you need it now buy now. If you can wait, wait. There will always be something bigger and better 6 months down the line.

Lethal

3. tompatros thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'm trying to weigh against the current rebates / deals vs. the possible upgrades for the new powermacs. I've heard FireWire2, USB2, ATA133, CPU speed bumps, and a bunch of other stuff that all sounds good, but the current RAM discount, monitor rebates and free copy of InDesign are tempting too.

I guess the better question is: of all the hardware upgrade rumors floating around, which ones seem the most likely?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It is always tough to decide 'cause you always wanna wait to see what's next. For me, I want to get an iPod 'bout I'm waiting 'til MWSF to see if they come out w/new iPods. If they do I'll probably buy the "older" iPod that is now cheaper.

Like I said before wait as long as you can wait before you buy 'cause every 6 mo or so things change. If it was me, so close to MWSF I'd hold off. That's what I did last year. I was thinking of buying 'round Thanksgiving time, but I decided to wait until after MWSF. In April I picked up a dual gig QS. I'm glad I waited.

Lethal

5. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

ok since ive been following the Power Mac for a year before i settled on the Dual 1.25, i picked up alot of its patterns.

Ok you will see a speed bump, theres always a speed bump. I'm guessing somewhere between 1.4-1.5 Dual for top of the line.

Since the new DDR macs have a new motherboard, i dont see ata 133 happening, so you'll see the same 4 RAM slots, 4 open PCIs, 1 4x AGP (probably a Nvidia one if they get the FX out soon enought, if not then look for the ATI 9500PRO and the 9700PRO if youre extra good) and the same old lame ata/66 and ata/100 connctors.

OHH you will definately see the Pioneer DVR 105 4x DVD-R superdrive

hopefully new LCD will come out at MWSF2003 so look for some nice promotions of them.

I say they will come out early spring. apple is going to delay the PM release for as long as they can since who knows what motorolla is doing.

OHH i also see the price drop back down to $3000 again for the top of the line.

just my 2 cents

Tyler

6. Wano macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think there willl be a new line of PoweMacs in january, considering that hey release new lines every 6 months or so.

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

You've gotta be kidding me. Mark my words, there is NO CHANCE of new PowerMacs in January.

Personally, I think the soonest a powermac update might be would be March.

8. rasha macrumors newbie

I am waiting for a new Powermac as well but I do not see them in Jan. Way too soon. I am thinking Jan. will be all about more software developments and bumped iMacs and eMacs.

9. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I disagree with most of the people on this thread. The last PowerMac were introduced with very little fanfare and I believe it was a transitional computer. I think we'll see new innards and a speed pump. We'll know soon enough at MYSF.

10. Wano macrumors 6502

Sorry! But, even with your words said, I still believe there will be a new line of PowerMacs. Maybe not a new desing, but faster processors(still G4), better video/graphic cards, possibly two optical drives in the high end model, and hopefully more firewire ports.