PowerMac dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by brendel95, Jun 10, 2005.

1. brendel95 macrumors regular

I am trying to decide between Old and New Dual 2.0 Ghz PowerMac.
    Spec seems almost same except video card and ram slots. New one has better video card and old one has more ram slots :confused:

I guess old 2.0 is better than the new 2.0, because old 2.0 was mid model and new one is entry model. Correct me if I am wrong.

Is there any other differences or anything I have to consider before I buy?
    And by the way, I do scientific computing and play game time to time

Thanks in advance
    :)

2. PCM macrumors regular

dual layer burner on new one but really who cares for your application...old DP two point oh IMHO is a better deal...

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would go for the old 2GHz DP PowerMac G5. The RAM slots are not upgradeable, a video card is. So do not base your decision on the video card as both of the stock cards should probably be replaced with an ATI Radeon 9800 or better. Just my two cents- either way you go you will love your new Mac!

4. brendel95 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for recommendation, I was leaning to the old one too.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good choice. btw how much RAM are you looking to slap into your new G5?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Depends whether you can be bothered upgrading the GPU really.

7. brendel95 thread starter macrumors regular

Right now I am thinking 512MB(stock)+1GB(already 4 slots :eek:). And I will add more, if my code requires more than that in the future. Although I like ATI better, I will be probably happy with old video card (I don't do any video editing or hardcore game, halo Wow, and Sims are all the game I play)

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

1.5GB of RAM, sounds good to me. I was considering putting in another 2GB of RAM in my system, but I need to buy a new Cinema Display and video card before I upgrade my RAM (first things first).

9. brendel95 thread starter macrumors regular

Finally, I bought old dual 2.0Ghz at a good deal. Now I have one more question.

Is kingston (KVR400) ram okay?
    Is it okay to buy two(individually packaged) ram not the pair in one package?

Thanks