Powermac dual 1.8 for Imac 24" Duo??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mocman, Dec 1, 2006.

1. mocman macrumors regular

Ok here is the deal.....I have had this powermac dual 1.8 since they came out. Now of course I do a little video and photo editing etc. My real question seems to be will the new duo 24" iMac do the job like my powermac or do I need to buy another.
    Yea I have a 20 widescreen now but seem to like the 24" size a bit better. I can sell the screen also in the future. Please Post any Help.....Thanks MC

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The 24" iMac, esp. with the upgraded graphics card, will do anything your G5 will do (except Classic apps), and it will do most of it faster (all of it, once everything goes universal). However, you're maxed out at 3GB, which might or might not be a problem for you, and anything over 2GB is very expensive.

I think you'll be very happy with the iMac unless the less-than-pro quality screen bothers you. It's fast and has pretty good screen resolution, at it uses less power and is quieter than the G5.

3. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

no question

The iMac will be significantly faster at everything. Is that line of Powermacs even PCI-e?

4. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

yea this powermac has pci-x. If I do not get the imac I am getting the new pro mac dual 2.66. Since it is around the same price as the imac 24.....MC

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good Lord! Get the Mac Pro then! More upgradeability and such. I say skip the iMac and go Pro.

6. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

Agreed without a doubt; the Mac Pro is as close to future proof as you can get now-a-days.

7. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

P.S. Want to donate your PM to a poor college kid :rolleyes: ... please... pretty please?!

haha, enjoy the new comp.

8. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

yea I think the macpro is it........thanks MC