Powermac dual 1.8 worries

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by paco taco mike, Feb 18, 2005.

  1. paco taco mike macrumors member

    paco taco mike

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #1
    with a possibly iMac update in the horizon, is a dual 1.8 powermac a bad choice right now? (since they might be updated?)
     
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

    Lacero

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #2
    You should wait. I bought the latest dual G5 1.8 last summer around June, so definitely the PowerMacs are going to be updated very soon. I don't think you'll have to wait until WWDC, but most likely later this month or March at the latest.
     
  3. daveL macrumors 68020

    daveL

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2003
    Location:
    Montana
    #3
    Why would expect an iMac update "on the horizon"? I wouldn't expect one for at least 6 months. I'm fairly certain the Imac won't be updated until a couple months after the PM is updated, and most folks don't expect a PM update until June (announced, delivery 2 months later).
     
  4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #4
    Powermacs are first due for a update, then imacs. They have to update the Cpu & Gpu in Powermac before imac gets a bump.Maybe 9600XT standard or the new bus with a newer product from Ati or Nvidia. I wouldnt buy a iMac or Powermac at the moment. waiting a few months could have big rewards for both models. Heck Tiger alone may be enough reason.
     
  5. paco taco mike thread starter macrumors member

    paco taco mike

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #5
    well i am in real need of it, i figured if it was a week or two i might consider waiting, but if it's a couple of months, i'll just buy it now.

    thanks guys
    -mike
     
  6. vtprinz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    #6
    There's another thread going around that has evidence that the iMacs might be updated soon. Most notably an except from appleinsider.

    As for the powermacs, I really hope it doesn't take until june to upgrade. And as for everyone expecting long delays after an announcement, I don't really see this happening except for the top end model. The middle and lower machines will use most of the same components as the current models, so those should ship almost immediately.
     
  7. daveL macrumors 68020

    daveL

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2003
    Location:
    Montana
    #7
    I beg to differ. If the iMac were upgraded now, before the PM, it would start competing with the low end PM; not good. Where's the iMac going to go? They are already at 1.6 and 1.8. It's a brand new design that's only been shipping for 4.5 months. In my opinion, it ain't going to happen, soon.

    If the PMs get updated in the near term, it's just going to be a minor speed bump. Who cares, if all they do is bump the CPU specs 10%? June will mark the 2 year anniversary of the PM G5 announcement. I'm expecting a more major revamp of the PM (dual core, maybe), and so I am expecting shipping delays after the announcement.

    Anyway, none of us knows anything, and this is all speculation. Feel free to believe whatever you'd like.
     

Share This Page