PowerMac Dual G4 1.25 vs iMac CD 2.0Ghz (video editing)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by caccamolle, Nov 2, 2006.

1. caccamolle macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I am not a heavy user, except for some video-editing, so I have this simple question. I basically just do a few projects a year (on a good year); FCP is a hobby and gives me great satisfaction for my home (and a few windsurfing) movies I make.

My simple question.

Is it obvious that my iMac will outperform my Powermac (FW800, dual 1.25GhZ and 1,25GB of RAM) assuming I get the universal version of FCP ?

I just feel I'd like to get rid of the PowerMac, which has served me extremely well in my few projects, but I have little space, I do have this iMac which is generations newer. What's the wise thing to do ?

Also, I don't particularly worry about adding external (FW) storage space when needed for my video projects.

thx !

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

With the new Core 2 Duo iMacs you'll see a significant increase in performance. Make a note that if you need FW800 then you'll have to get the 24" iMac as the 17/20 doesn't have that installed.

3. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you !

wow, significant ! that's cool, I was not so sure, since apps like FCP take full advantage of the two processors.

By the way, I have already a Core Duo iMac (20"), but the one just prior to the last revision (which included the intro of the 23"). And as to FW800, while I was excited when first introduced, it revealed itself pretty irrelevant, at least from my point of view. I am surprised that it was "reintroduced" with the iMac 23".

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, the iMac uses a dual-core cpu so it is does essentially have two processors like your Power Mac G4. :)

5. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

While you should see an increase in performance, test it by buying the universal version (or upgrading to it), then run an identical project on each computer and time each task and report back. I'm sure many here would like to know.

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

A Core Duo iMac easily competes/beats a Dual 2 Ghz G5, so there is no doubt that it will beat a G4 as well.

Only reason I have a PowerMac is because its expandable, I can stuff 4 hard drives in this thing, and add graphics cards, etc.

The iMac can quickly become outdated to lack of expandability (I used to have an iMac G5).

I'd rather have an Intel iMac though, those things are FAST, I just can't afford it.

7. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you guys, I think I get it, iMac Intel faster than my dual G4 PM.

And yes, once I have FCP universal I will indeed experiment between the two machines, time allowing.

I don't believe much in expandibility as a means to extend the life of a Mac. It offers however the advantage of being able to have more storage internally, which is quite relevant to some,l me included. But all those PCI slots to me are hardly usefull since there is so little (there was at least) for the Mac (think graphic cards, it was pathetic the lack of options we had ...)