PowerMac G3 - choppy video playback

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by acedickson, Jan 25, 2007.

1. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I'm currently running an old powermac G3 that's fine with everything except video playback.

My question, is it the 300mhz processor, the video card (stock ATI rage), or a combination of both?

Before it's said, I would buy a new computer if I could afford it.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I believe that a 400 MHz G3 was the minimum recommended for QuickTime 6, let alone version 7.

Your machine doesn't quite exceed that.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Try using VLC for playback instead. Quicktime is terrible on older machines.

4. acedickson thread starter macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I appreciate all the help. I wasn't sure where the bottleneck was, I'll give VLC a try. Any suitable solution will do for the next couple months until I can afford my MBP...

5. BILLMCC macrumors newbie

I have one of the first G5 machines with the single 1.6ghz. Ram upgraded to 2GB. I've tried running HD content in QT and it chokes. Is there anything I can do short of saving for a new intel mac?

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Performance depends in part on what you're playing. I know, for example, that the Rage 128 cards in G3 Power Macs have a hardware MPEG2 decoder that speeds up DVD playback, but may not be used when just viewing QuickTime mpegs.

Apple's HD trailers use the CPU, and require a beefy one - my 1.4GHz G4 is choppy with 720 res HD trailers on a 1680x1050 screen, but I'm guessing all the Intel Macs handle them OK.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yep, no problems running HD trailers on my MacBook Pro. :)