Powermac G3 dead

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kingcrowing, Apr 23, 2006.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I've got a Powermac G3 B&W, and its not turning on, I'm assuming its the power supply, but it could be something else, anyways to check or anything? thanks!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, wee need WAY more information to be able to guve you an informed reply, but there is one thing you can try - replace the PRAM battery. It is a 3.6 V 1/2AA Lithium battery, available for about $10 from Radio Shack or your Mac store locally. They last 3 - 6 years depending on how much time your machine spends being turned off.

3. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

1) Check that the plug is securely plugged into the outlet and the Mac.

2) Check that the outlet is working by plugging something else into it.

3) Try turing the power on from the keyboard and then the tower/desktop.

4) Prepare a eulogy for your steadfast companion and then see if there are any parts worth salvaging for your own use, sale or donation.

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Would a dead pram battery really prevent the system from even spinning up the fan? I've used plenty of very old Macs with dead pram batteries but the only problem it caused was the loss of all settings upon shut down.

5. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

yeah, I'm pretty sure they still boot up w/o PRAM batteries...
    I checked all the plugs and power cords etc, and its not that. when I press and hold down the power button the fan will spin like half a CM then stop and go back, and it'll do this like ever 2-3 seconds while I hold down the power button, so I'm assuming its just the power supply. I cant just toss this out cause I need to get my music off the HD, I've got over 15GB... so I need to salvage it. but I'm getting a MBP this summer for college so worst case scenario I just take out the HD and transfer the music to that once I get it...

Its a Rev. B 450MHz G3, 1GB/2x40GB/64MB ATI 7000/DVD/USB 2.0 card

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Here's something that may not even apply but would be good to try if it does. On my old 8500 there was a button on the motherboard called a cuda switch that needed to be pressed and held for a few seconds to clear up certain hardware problems. Maybe your G3 has a cuda switch too.

http://cubeowner.com/kbase_2/?page=index_v2&id=39&c=31

Also, though it isn't mentioned on that page, I used to hear that you need to hold the button down for 30 seconds, not just press it and let go.

picture:
    http://www.cubeowner.com/gallery/parts/Mainboard01

Official Apple info:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95037

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If the battery is completely shot, there isn't enough juice for the soft power-on circuit to engage. You can sometimes get it to start by turning it on, off , then onagain very quickly.

8. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

If you try the cuda switch, let us know if it worked.

9. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I dont think the G3s have a cuda switch, I looked on that site and its links and couldnt find anythign about it for G3s.
    I tried powering it on and off real quick, but nothing happened at all

10. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a beige G3 and the battery is completely missing, yet it still works, so long as I don't unplug it and reset the clock etc. :)

12. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

13. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

well I found what I'm pretty sure is the cuda/pmu switch and it didnt do anything, at this point I'm pretty much set that its a dead power supply, I just dont know where to get a cheap G3 PSU...