PowerMac G3 upgrade OS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lindsaycb, Nov 3, 2004.

1. lindsaycb macrumors newbie

First things first, let me tell you that I am not as knowledgeable with Macs as I am with PCs. But I'm slowly learning, since I am taking over the technical requests at my work and we only work with Macs.

I have a PowerMac G3 with 545.1mb of ram installed. It has OS 8.1 installed on it. However, something is terribly wrong with the whole sytem, so we decided to go ahead and upgrade the OS from 8.1 to OS 9. I'm not sure what version of 9 it is, on the cd from Apple, it only has 9 but in tiny print it says SSW Version 9.2.1. Is that the version then?

I'm assuming that virtual memory is the same in Macs as in PCs. It should be turned on right?

I also have another PowerMac G3 with only 32mb of ram installed. Is that enough ram to install OS 9?

Anyway, so I've never ever even seen how to install a MacOS. The cd says to hold down the C key as the computer starts up. Is it pretty self-explantory from there? I know that with PC's, you don't always need to wipe the hard drive, it'll do it in the installation...is that the same with Macs? Or do I need to wipe the drive first...and if so...how???

I know, I'm sounding really dumb here, and I guess I am when it comes to Macs but I'm slowly learning and it's actually fun trying to figure out how these work, compared to PCs. I already have more information in my head than I've ever had with Macs!!!

Thanks so much in advance!!

2. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I am, mildly speaking, not the biggest genius in this forum... but since nobody else is answering I'll give it a go...

oh, and I don't know a thing about pc's so turning on the virtual memory doesn't make any sense to me...!?

Anyway, here comes my advice:

1. put in cd w OS9

2. turn off computer

3. start computer while holding down "C" (this makes the comp start up from the cd)

4. do as it tells you from here and all should be fine...

If you want to be really sure that everything is done correctly you might wanna wait for somebody else to answer you :eek:

And this thread should answer some of your other questions:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=92759&page=1&pp=25

Hope i was a little helpful

A

3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Install Mac OS X on this machine... it'll fly :) (with euphoria not speed - faster than OS 9 tho)

4. lindsaycb thread starter macrumors newbie

no can do

Can't install OS X...none of our programs will work with it or something like that. We all have OS 9 on the rest of the systems. But I wish I could!!

5. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

If you have all of the install CD's backup what you need, partition 8GB for OS X and then on the other partition put on OS 9.2.1 then upgrade to 9.2.2 using system update.

6. lindsaycb thread starter macrumors newbie

Uh, I only have on install CD, that's all my boss gave me.
    Maybe a stupid question, but why do I need to partition 8gb for OS X when I'm not even installing it?
    Anyway, I don't know how to partition hard drives on Macs.
    thanks for replying...

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I wouldn't install OS9 on a 32MB machine. (It is possible)
    If it is a beige G3 you could run OS 8.1 on it, if it is a B&W G3 (blue and white) stick OS 8.6 on it.
    I would recommend getting some more RAM.
    RAM is inexpensive these days, you could probably get a 128mb really cheap.
    A G3 with 128+mb ram runs OS9 very well.

(you probaly don't have 545.1 mb ram on the G3, it has probably 545.1 mb free...)
    Check Apple System Profiler (in the Apple Menu, top left...)

8. lindsaycb thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I have a 256mb stick of ram to put in the 32mb ram machine. So I'm going to do that and then both computers should be good on ram.

It is a beige G3 desktop model. I'm trying to find the model number (7100, 7500, 8100, 9500, etc) but am having a hard time. I saw this link http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html on another thread somewhere else, so I'm downloading different manuals to see which one I'm working with. So far, I think it's the PowerPC G3 Desktop model. It looks dead up like it. At first I thought it was the 7500, but the system requirements don't fit what I have here.

I went to the apple menu and clicked on the About This Computer and I thought it was built-in memory 544 or something like that. I probably just remembered the wrong number yesterday. I don't have the system profiler on my apple menu....

but for installing OS 9, do I just have to put in the cd and that's it? It'll wipe the hard drive and everything itself?
    Thanks!!

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Apple dropped the numbering of their Powermacs when they introduced the G3.
    The desktop G3 was released after the 7300 (which was faster than the 7600, 7500, 7200 and 7100).
    All the 7x00 series looked the same.
    If it says PowerMacintosh G3 on the front of the computer, then it is a beige G3.
    You can find out wham specs you machine is in Apple System Profiler.
    (it is probably a 233 or 266 mhz machine)
    Find out more here:
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g3/index.html

G3 is a proceccor, it a name for the ppc750 series.
    The older powermac like, 7300 and 7600 had a PPC604 series cpu, the 7200 and 7100 had a ppc601.

10. lindsaycb thread starter macrumors newbie

That link you gave me was exactly what I needed to see. It's a 233mhz. And is a beige G3. But that link says that MacOS 9 will work on it, so I'm guessing that this cd will install the OS that I need it too. The CD says it's SSW Version 9.2.1, so it should be fine right?

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yes, that's correct.

I'm assuming your business has valid reasons for sticking with OS9 on the machines (in truth, OSX would be pretty pokey on that computer anyway, though I have done it), so there is no need to partition, reformat, or do anything else to the hard drive. Just put the OS9 CD you have in, hold down the C key when you start up (that tells the mac to override whatever it's supposed to be starting up from and try whatever's in the CD drive instead, if that wasn't already obvious), and follow the onscreen instructions.

(More accurately, I believe you might actually have to launch the installer on the CD for OS9--it's been so long I don't quite remember.) In any case, it's pretty self-explanatory.

The only choice you have to make is whether to do a "clean install" (which puts an entirely new copy of the System on the drive, with no extensions or preferences carried over), or upgrade the existing system folder (which will preserve existing preferences and extensions, though it'll also carry over any conflicts or weirdness that might have accumulated).

Unless you really need to save the preferences and installed extensions, it's better to do a clean install and re-install any extras that are needed.

Good luck.