Powermac G3 wont Turn on!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Podi, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Podi macrumors newbie

After a power outage while my Powermac G3 was in standby mode it will no longer turn on. I press the power button and it lights up but as soon as I let go It goes off and wont boot up. I tried the command option P R attempt with no result. I also tried a different power cord also with no result. Is there anything I can do? The repair place said it would be 10-14 days to even look at it, and I have a huge project due. I would truelly appreciate anyones help in this time of need. Thank you so much up front for any of your efforts.

2. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

you didnt have it hooked up to a surge protector? you very well could of fried something. i had a tv get fried from lightning. good luck with that.

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

On the motherboard of your PowerMac, there's a little white button on there somewhere. This is the power reset button for the motherboard. Press that button and then see if it powers on.

4. Podi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I will give it a go. Do you have any clue abouts where it may be on the mother board?

5. Podi thread starter macrumors newbie

GREAT!!!!! Thank you guys soooo much. The power reset button did the trick. I am sooo gratefull. I wish you guys nothing but the best you have no idea how much you have saved me :D

6. Podi thread starter macrumors newbie

GREAT!!!!! Thank you guys soooo much. The power reset button did the trick. I am sooo gratefull. I wish you guys nothing but the best you have no idea how much you have saved me :D

7. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

good for you! i am very glad you didnt fry anything!

8. Podi thread starter macrumors newbie

Me Too! Well, Im off to get a UPS now to save this from ever happening again. Thanks again!

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

That little button can work wonders, also in the future your PRAM battery can die and this can cause the same problem. So if you notice your clock not keeping time thats a good sign you need a new PRAM battery.

10. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Gee...I am useful around here! :D I thought that would fix the problem...I've had that happen before to me with a MacClone that I used to have and that was the solution.

11. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

If you buy one, you don't really need a big $150 UPS battery. I have a simple APC Back-UPS 350. It will keep my Flat Panel iMac running for around 2 or 3 minutes...just enough time to get it shut down properly. It also keeps the correct amount of power going to my iMac at all times. I live in a rural area with poor power so this comes in handy all the time. I can hear it clicking on and off all the time feeding my Mac the correct amount of power. This also serves as a surge protector for both my plug-ins, and my modem connection. Its well worth the $40! Yes, its only $40. They're in my local Wal-Mart for the price above.

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

hey, Podi, you do know your sn is the name of an ipod ripoff right?