Powermac G4 867 DP MDD upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Majikthese42, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Majikthese42 macrumors newbie

I have an older Powermac G4 867 DP MDD, bus speed 133MHZ, 256 MB SDRAM and a CD-RW/DVD-ROM. It works fine for me, but it's getting old, and I'm starting to work from home so it's critical that I have a working computer at all times.

I'm planning to buy a new Mac, and use the 867 as a backup computer, but I also want to upgrade it.

1.) Will OSX Tiger work well with the 867MHZ processor?

2.) As for memory expansion, I moticed that the price difference between a 256 stick and a 512 stick is just $25. So why would someone buy a 256? And can I mix and match the 256 with a 512? Or would I be asking for trouble?

If this is dumb to ask, or has been asked about a bazillion times before, I apologise, but I tried using the "search" function first. I've been using Macs since 1989, but I just use 'em, I don't know what makes 'em tick! Thanks!

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, Tiger will work on your Mac with no problem. I would recommend more RAM, purchase what you can afford. I have 1.25 GB of RAM on a older PM than yours. The Crucial RAM link above would be a good place to check for your needs.

What new Mac do you plan to purchase?

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

you can mix and match anything, i'd just get a 512MB stick, 768MB is a decent amount.

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

As stated you can mix the diffrent sizes of RAM sticks, as long as ther are what ever you need to in your machine. i.e. i have 1.25 GB of RAM (256+256+256+512MB).

Also, another good site for looking for memory is OWC (MacSales). Once there you can select your model of computer and get a list of all the available upgrades for your computer.

5. Majikthese42 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- do you really need a new computer? Depending on what you do, sounds to me like you should be fine with a DP 867, just stuff it full of RAM and you'll see a huge difference. I have an old 350 MHz Sawtooth that I upgraded to a 1 GHz single processor and 1.5 Gb RAM and it's great. I work a lot at home too and it suits me just fine. Oh- and Tiger runs great on it.

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Just to help you out:

I have a Quicksilver 933Mhz single processor 768MB RAM with Tiger. It runs it extremely well and I do a lot of iMovie and the rest of iLife. I constantly have tons of apps open and hardly ever notice a slow down. It's great. I'd imagine a dual 867 would be quite faster than the single 933, so you should be good well into the intel macs and maybe farther!

8. briangig macrumors regular

I have a digital audio powermac running tiger, upgraded it to the dual 867, and it is very fast, runs awesome. I was at 768mb of ram, just bumped it to 1152 today, i figure it does more good in the machine than in a drawer. You will notice a HUGE speed increase with the ram alone, boot time, app launching, anything really..I would not hesitate going to 1.5gigs at all..os x will use it, and use it right. What about the video card? Right now I only have a Rage 128 Pro...fine for browsing and standard apps, but it might be something you need to upgrade.

Another upgrade option would be HD controllers..(the mdd has ata/66 right?) ata/100 or serial ata would make a difference.

Also, what new mac were you thinking of? For a fraction of the cost, you could totaly pimp out that mdd. Unless you will be doing primarily video..I dont see what the g4 dp couldnt do..

edit: just checked the specs, max 2gb ram comes with ata 100 drive, so i assume the controller is ata/100..put in as much ram as you can afford, at least 1gb.

9. Majikthese42 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I don't really "need" a new computer. In fact the 867 DP was overkill when I bought it, I just went for it because it was expandable. But I DO really need a backup computer, 'else I'm "scrod" if it breaks. (The 6-year old iMac my kid left me while taking the laptop back to college just won't cut it for 200 page files.) And I don't want to buy a new Power Book if they're going to introduce the NEW Power Books just as soon as I break the carton seal!

My thought is to upgrade the 866 DP's memory, upgrade to Tiger, but buy a Mac-mini as a backup computer (and for home entertainment use). Then maybe a 15" PB under the Christmas tree.

Thanks!