PowerMac G4 Cinema HD Display woes

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by euphoria3k, Feb 9, 2005.

1. euphoria3k macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2005
    At work i use a PowerMac G4 466Mhz with an ATI Rage 128 pro 16mb graphics card (original). My work has purchased a 23" Cinema HD Display to use with my mac. I had purchased a VGA to DVI adapter hoping that this is all i need. Now the problem i have is that it will not turn on with the computer, i just get no display.

Is the problem because of my graphics card? Or do i need a ADC to DVI adapter?

I have read some of the other posts but havent had much luck. I apologise if im asking an old question :confused:

2. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2002
    New York
    i imagine it's your video card. I think you need one with 32MB to drive the 23 inch HDs. pick up a ati 9000 with 128MB and you'll be all set.

3. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    Power Mac G4 or G5 with NVIDIA graphics card or ATI Radeon 7500 or better graphics card and Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later

These are the requirment posted on apple.com
  4. pughimag macrumors newbie

Mar 10, 2005
    Radeon 7500 or 9000 for G4 (GB Ethernet)

I have a similar dilemma. I have a dual 450 MHz processor Gigabit Ethernet G4 with 768MB RAM. I have purchased a 23" HD Monitor (old version, with translucent legs etc) and I am trying to figure out the best video card to use. I also have a 15" Studio flat panel display (VGA). I would like to use both displays. I use Garage band and the iLife suite predominantly. I do not play any games.

I stupidly bought a Radeon 9200 PCI card and then realized that it does not have an ADC connection. Also, from what I've read I should be replacing the ATI Rage 128 AGP card and going with an AGP card that will support the two monitors, rather than a PCI video card.

The G4 power supply is rated at 220Watts and there is a power concern with cards like the 9800 (expensive) Also, I believe the 9800 is overkill for the G4. I am having difficulty understanding the difference between the various Radeon cards. I am leaning towards the 9000 Pro or the 7500. Will either one of these cards do the job of running both my monitors. What do you recommend for my configuration?
  5. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
  6. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Go with the ATI 9000. You'll be happier with it for longer.
  7. pughimag macrumors newbie

Mar 10, 2005
    9000 Pro it is!

Bear, Many thanks. I will go ahead and order the 9000 Pro. Appreciate the fast reply. So many things to consider but I'm looking forward to using the 23" HD display. I do quite a bit of MIDI sequencing (Cubase/ Garage Band/Band-in-a-Box) so the extra screen space will definitely come in useful.