PowerMac G4 - dead

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Seagram, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Seagram macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2006
    Looking for little help with a PowerMac G4. There seems to be no power getting to the pc. When I press the power button, it will light up, then fade off. No video, no startup beeps of any kind, hard drive no spinning.

I tried a different power cord and different outlet still nothing. Fan does not kick on, either when plugged in or hitting the power button. I am thinking it is a bad power supply, but not sure. Haven't work much with Macs
  2. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    I also have a PB G4. Not much info to go on, but the best bet so far is that your power supply is dead, has been dead for some time and your battery has run flat. Can you get hold of an alternative? Sorry not to have been of better help --- and good luck! :)
  3. Seagram thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2006
    Unfortunately or fortunately this is the only mac we have on site, so there is not another power supply to try. Was just looking to get some insight before purchasing a new power suppply and find out that is not the problem

Thanks for the reply
  4. hikingnclimbing macrumors member

Jan 10, 2006
    Gorham, ME
    Something funky is going on. My inclination is the power supply. Does the power button light up consistently each time or is it fading? I'd imagine that if the power supply was dead then the light would start to fade because the capacitors would be loosing their charge each time you try to start it up.

Just my 2 cents. But it does sound power supply related.
  5. Seagram thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2006
    It fades right away after pressing the power button. But it does seem to have the same strength each time
  6. aquajet macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    Try resetting the logicboard. There should be a small, surface-mount button on the logicboard. Press it and try to power on again.

What speed G4 do you have? Sawtooth, Quicksilver, etc.?
  7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Disconnect every single extra item you have in and outside that mac. everything, that means all pci cards,airport,external drives etc. Make sure its like it was out of the box then try again. Let us know.
  8. J. Revolt macrumors newbie

Sep 14, 2007

I had the same problem with the fading power button on my MDD and resetting the button on the logicboard fixed -awesome - i never would have figured that out in a million years!:)
  9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    This seems to be a common problem on the Power Mac G4. Just use the reset button on the logicboard next to the battery. I've had to remove and reseat the battery as well from time to time.