PowerMac G4 Dual 450mHz worth it ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MIDI_EVIL, Feb 19, 2006.

1. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Basically, i have the chance to purchase a dual 450 Powermac G4 for £235 GBP,($408 USD) now i already have a powerbook G4 1.67 to edit with final cut pro, but i wanted a machine as a back up and a storage machine.

I wondered how good the dual 450's were? Could i run final cut on it if i desperately need to ? also, what about photoshop performance?

I will probably upgrade the HD so i could use this as music, video and storage machine. Maybe upgrade the processer later on. Just want another mac as a backup as i don't want to buy a PC and a high capacity external drive is near enough the same as the powermac.

Thanks everyone.

Rich.

2. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

What about Dual 867?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Rich.

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I would not recomend buying a dual g4, and then upgrading the processor and all kinds of parts...By the time you finish upgrading, you could possibly have enough money for a Single/Dual G5.

Dual G4's are great machines, just don't go overboard with the upgrades.

Final Cut Pro shouldn't be too bad, you'll get a few RT effects, make sure you have at least 1 gig of ram in any machine using Pro Apps. I don't think Photoshop would be too bad, depends on the quality of the pictures your working on.

As far as the HD goes, have one for the OS, and the other to store video, music, etc. It's going to boost performance and make your life a hell of a lot easier.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Max da ram to 2GB and you will be fine in both PS & FCP.....
    RT effects in FCP will be limited somewhat by the CPU speed, but having a dually will help some in that regards. Also, if you will be working with raw/live footage in FCP, consider getting at least a 64 or 128mb video card if you want to speed up the renders.......

a DP 867 would be a much better investment, value wise :)
    As would a 2nd HDD for the scratch disks in both PS & FCP