Powermac G4 fan noise !

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Saruman, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Saruman macrumors newbie

Hi guys !

I recently tried a 4 months old powermac G4 and was quite annoyed by the LOUD fan ( Which is worse than my current, horrible pc..) ! I never considered this as an issue as the previous macs were reputedly quiet computers... I was waiting for the next powermac update to buy one but now I'm very sceptical..

Any comments would be appreciated.... Maybe the mac was defectuous ?

Thanks !

2. Kid Red macrumors 65816

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I hadn't noticed my 800dp making any noise but then again I rarely listen to it!

Ensign

4. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Things that contribute to the fan making noise:

1. Loud fan (you can do a little research and replace the stock fans with ones that seem to make less noise).

2. Proximity to user (if the tower is on your desk, it'll sound louder when you're using the computer). The power/sleep button is built into the displays for a reason. Put your G4 on the floor, or even in a cabinet. *Make sure it can get plenty of air fresh air.

3. Room acoustics. Some rooms absorb sound (like my old apartment) and some rooms seem to amplify it (like my new apartment). My G4 definately sounds louder in my new place.

Other solutions?

There are 3 ultra-quiet G4 options...
    -The Cube
    -The TiBook
    -The iMac

5. Saruman thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, than it must be a defectuous one... The fan was literraly barkinga loud GRRRRRR.... !

My suspicions are confirmed ;) !

In any case, the setup looked killer ( With the HK soundsticks !!!) !

:)