PowerMac G4 for $130. Should I go for it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattcube64, Jul 29, 2006.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Hey guys,

Someone over at cheapassgamer.com (A very legit site for trading games, where I have done business in the past) is offering a G4 PowerMac (OSX Panther, 1.5GB RAM, 20GB HDD, 500Mhz) for a new Nintendo DS Lite plus shipping. I really want to pick up an older Mac for my mom, but I was really hoping to get something a bit faster. However, I think it will still be plenty quick for email/web browsing/etc, correct?

What do you guys think? Personally, I think it's quite a deal, considering the RAM alone would cost around that much. I don't know...

Attached Files:

2. Angrist macrumors 6502

Take it ...

Might be a scam, but from such a low price, I'd take a shot at it. Could always check for references too.

3. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

That seems really low. If you don't try for it. I might.

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

1.5 GB of RAM sells for at least $130, if not more since you can't find that type of RAM. Totally worth it, but for such a low price, does it even boot?

5. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Well, I'm having him take a pic of his hand in front of the monitor running textedit with his name on it and a pic of a game in front of the tower. If both the pics come through, I offered a DSLite. He said that'd be great.

Hopefully everything works out. However, I'm looking at nearly $100 in shipping. Ugh.

6. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Hmm.. $100 in shipping. That really ups the price somewhat. Spending just a bit more (2x) you could get a Mac mini which could do everything your mom needs and would be a lot faster than the G4 tower, not to mention a lot smaller and a lot quieter too..

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Is that his price or yours? Have you looked on USPS and quoted it out? I'm selling a G4 on eBay and so for shipping cost, we priced out 40lbs through USPS from SC to MI and it was just under $40. Now granted, distance will increase that, but by an extra $60? hmmm..

8. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Well, it's from NY to MO. I figured the price. I figured it was an oversized box, and it came out to $84.

The thing is, my mom is the one who wanted a new computer. So I think she'll cover the shipping. So, it'll only cost me the price of the DS.

9. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

It won't be an oversized box, just a large box at about 40lbs. I just did USPS calculation of New York, NY to Kansas City, MO (generic, I know) and for the priority mail it was only $50.

So, yay - less in shipping than you'd thought, at least!

Attached Files:

10. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Wow, that's cool. See, I thought it was an oversized box, so yeah, I guess it'll be quite a bit cheaper.

I'll send a DS out on Saturday, then he'll send me the computer after I give him a delivery confirmation number. Then, I'll send the shipping money order when I receive the computer.

Sound good?