PowerMac G4 freezes all the time

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ----Bowie----, Apr 3, 2004.

1. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2004
    I bought a new Power Mac G4 about 3-4 months ago. The thing freezes completely solid all the time, Sometimes 15 times or more a day. It does it with all apps, or sometimes with no apps open at all. They have replaced the RAM and the logic bord and it still happens. It is out being fixed, so I have to use an old Power Mac 7200/120 for now :( :mad:
    Does someone know what I should do? The people at the Service Provider who are fixing it are pretty clueless.
  2. adamjay macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2004
    how much ram is in it?
    are you using OS9 or OSX?

Does it freeze in the sense that you have to Reboot? Or are you just getting the beachball alot?

the more information the better.
  3. ----Bowie---- thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2004

It is runing OS X.3, I have 256 MB of ram and I have to Reboot it.
  4. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004

tssk tssk never replace parts before you try to REINSTALLreinstall your os this is always a good option also try running a disk utility that works too
  5. visor macrumors 6502

May 13, 2003
    in bed
    check your network connection

The only things I know to cause such behaviour is
    Bad ram,
    a network on the blink.

The most extreme I've ever seen was a PMG4 on a netinfo network with a cheap network cable that was frequently unplugging itself from the mac. the Mac froze until the cable was plugged in again...
  6. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    Man! That machine is worse than my old Celeron 466 MHz running XP Pro that I had before I made the switch (in terms of crashing). Sounds to me like Apple should replace it...

I would definitely advise reinstalling the OS WITH A CLEAN INSTALL. Also, from what you've said, your using a third party company (authorized repair center) to fix it; don't. Get Apple to do it for you. You can go to an Apple Store, call them, etc. I'm sorry you're experience is so bad - my PowerBook has never crashed.
  7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Have you booted on the Hardware Test CD? Have you booted into Single User Mode and run fsck on the disk? Have you unplugged any external devices? Have you reset the PRAM?

Absolutely, positively do not reinstalled OSX until you've tried all of these much less drastic measures first. I have never had to reinstall OSX to fix a problem, and OSX is almost certainly not causing yours. Reinstalling is a pain in the neck and virtually never solves a problem. People who suggest this "solution" probably also pick their teeth with a machete!

Personally, I think you've got a lemon. I'd insist on a replacement.