1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Powermac G4 Giving one Beep after new ram is installed.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gibbo132, Feb 1, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

I have just put some brand new ram in my Powermac G4 Sawtooth, and it is giving one beep when i press the power button I have read that one beep indicates that there is no ram installed two beeps mean that there is the wrong type of ram installed.
    I have checked all the ram sticks and they seem to be in fine?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/20094

That is the ram i bought for it, is it the wrong type. I know its PC133 but that is backwards compatible with PC100.

Thanks Chris

2. macrumors 68040

666sheep

Is it on Kingston chips and sticks are "no name"?
    If so, will not work.

3. macrumors regular

It used to have Kingston chips in and I took them all out and replaced them with 3x 256mb sticks. i don't get why it only gives me 1 beep though surely if the ram was the wrong type it would give me two?

4. macrumors 68040

666sheep

Single beep means that RAM is not detected at all.
    Check with only one stick at once. I bet it will be that same.
    With "Kingston" i mean not entire stick but chips brand (written on single chip).
    I had brand new "no name" sticks with Kingston branded chips incompatible with Quicksilvers and Sawtooths. In your case it may be similar.

5. macrumors regular

The chips look like they are no name as well. :( I sent ebuyer an email to try and get this resolved. It really is very confusing.

6. macrumors Core

Now I may be WAY off here but are they the right density?
    I think you need low density, if you use high density they will not work.

I seem to remember having a similar issue with an old iMac

7. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Should have read the reviews first.... I only did find 1 out of 100 or so that was installed in a Mac.

Typically "generic" memory is high-density and more than likely won't work. As so in this case.... Have you checked out ebay for higher-quality name-brand memory?