Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonesrq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Tampa
I have a Powermac G4 450mhz and I'm trying to put OSX Tiger on it. Can someone tell me the system requirements for Tiger. Or will leopard work?

Thanks for the help

Meep

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
UK
I have a Powermac G4 450mhz and I'm trying to put OSX Tiger on it. Can someone tell me the system requirements for Tiger. Or will leopard work?

Thanks for the help

I believe you need to have a 256mb of RAM, firewire port and a dvd drive to install Tiger but there are hacks to remove the need of a firewire port. Tiger requirements

Leopard is a bit more as it requires you to have at least a 867MHz G4 and 512mb of RAM but again there are hacks to put it on older hardware but it'll be sloooooow Leopard Requirements

I think with both of them you need at least a 1Ghz G4 (i think its more actually) to be able to playback dvd's.

Hope that helps.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
it unlikely that leopard, even if you were able to get it installed, would be worth it. at that speed, i'd try Tiger or stick with Panther, either are solid enough to work well.

as linked above, the requirements for Tiger are a FW port/dvd rom/256mb of ram and enough disk space.

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
Na, dvd player works fine in a g3 clamshell. He should be fine. I have gotten through the tiger installer with a 400mhz g3 imac with only 192 mb of ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.