PowerMac G4 how much memory? 4gigs or 2?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by California, May 17, 2006.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

How much memory can my friend put in his G4 PowerMac? I came with 256mb and 80gig harddrive and a combo drive. He bought it in July 2004 right when the G5s were coming out.

Can he put four gigs of memory in this or, as the instructions say, is he limited to two gigs in the four slots? Thanks!

2. iGary Guest

iGary

So it's an MDD model?

[​IMG]

2GB max.

3. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

And he may spend some time replacing DIMMs in the closest slot. I have a friend with one of those, and they put the first (or last, depending on perspective) slot right next to the heat sink. He's killed three different sticks...

4. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Yes, but there are four memory slots. I don't understand -- what if he put four 1gig sticks in these four slots?

COuld it be that there were no such thing as 1 gig sticks when the computers were made?

5. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

these people sell 1GB DIMMs that they say will work in a G4 - whether you can put 4 in and the system will address them is another question..

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Some MDD models will tolerate `1 Gb DIMMs, but only 2 of them -- so you are no further ahead. The memory controller can only address 2 Gb RAM in any event.

7. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

So he could put in four 512s with no problem?

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes -- I haven't run into any problems with that -- the earlier poster's buddy -- dunno what's going on there about RAM in the nearest socket to the CPU failing -- unless it's an issue with heat associated with overclocking and/or improperly assembled CPU heatsink... ?.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

I had 2GB's in my last MDD - a 2003 model - and there were never any issues with it. A member here still owns it, too.

10. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

no, it wont work. the motherboard can only support 2 gigs of ram, any more and you will have yourself a nice possible problems or most likely it just wont recognize it. there is no way to exceed this either