PowerMac G4 performance comparison

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by quidire, Jul 8, 2005.

1. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Hello all,

I was wondering how this computer would perform (and how reliable it is)? It is a Dual G4 867MHz PM w/ 2 GB RAM.

I could couple it w/ 1 or 2 studio 17"s for around $200 each, and it seems like it would perform at least as well as my current 1.5GHz Powerbook does - but perhaps I am wrong?

So I'm curious, how does this computer stack up, and to what extent can I upgrade its video card to allow it to play games (or will it be so CPU limited that attempting such is a fool's errand?).

Thanks
    -RS

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

depends on what u want to use the computer for...that dual g4 should beat ur powerbook, but I'm not sure about it...I would bid on any computer with 2 gigs of ram in it...See how much the auction goes up..BID!!

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I do crazy multitasking on my quicksilver which is a 933Mhz single processor and it never even throws me a beachball. For example, yesterday, iDVD was encoding a movie and burning it while I was listening to internet radio in iTunes, browsing MR, using Mail, dashboard a few times, and was working in Photoshop/Imageready/Flash. All these apps were open at the same time. With 768MB RAM that is amazing. I can't imagine how it would would work with 2GB.

4. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Save yourself the frustrations and get a dual 1.8ghz g5. After you spend the money upgrading that one you could have gotten a G5.

5. snackcakeofd00m macrumors member

get that computer sweet deal. watch out though i mihgt be bidding :p

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

u still haven't answered the question--what are u going to do with the computer? (Keep bidding)