Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
Texas
Is the price difference between the dual 1ghz and the 1.25ghz worth $500, why or why not?

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
Re: Powermac G4 price difference....

Originally posted by Mac2006
Is the price difference between the dual 1ghz and the 1.25ghz worth $500, why or why not?
depends on what you're doing...dont forget it has twice the L3 cache as the new dual 1 ghz (same L3 cache as old dual 1 ghz) your getting approx. 500 more mhz split between two chips, which in motorola terms is pretty significant. consider it like this...the 1.25 is technically 20% faster than the 1ghz, mhz wise. Factor in the additional L3 cache and you have yourself a beast (though I think a used 1ghz tower with 2mb L3 per chip is the best deal you'll find around)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Where are you getting this $500 figure? The Dual gig is $2499 and the dual 1.25 gig is $3299.

I can see your $500 price difference is if you upped the RAM in the dual gig model to 512MB (+$200) and the hard drive to 120 (+$100) to match all the specs of the 1.25 model. Is that what you meant?

For the extra $500 you get basically an extra 250MHz per processor and an extra 1MB of L3 cache. And bragging rights of having the fastest PowerMac until the next revision. But I never personally purchase the highest model available. I would consider waiting until the benchmark results come out against the two models, that would help to determine if the extra $500 is worth it.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Well, let's wait until somone receives one and tells us exactly what chip it is.

If it a new G4, then it may better address DDR RAM. That, and the larger L2 cache, would be worth $500 to me.

However, whether you'll utilize the power is dependent on what you do. Try going to an Apple store, and using their machines with the processor monitor open. Run what you would normally run each day.

If you don't peg out both processors, then you don't need more machine. I always have 20 apps and 25 binaries running on top of the OS, so my processor is usually pegged at all times. I have a full load of RAM, and still get pageouts.

For users who are doing office type work (web, mail, Office, etc.) the Dual 867 should be more than enough. For those working with audio, Photoshop, compilers, or running 24/7 services, the Dual Gig should be fine. If you want to do some rendering, run A LOT of services, are a video junkie, or just need to be the fastest, get the Dual 1.25.

But don't buy anything until we hear some more about what's in the 1.25...

mr evil brkfast

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
No. I think the 1Ghz is the better deal.

I really like the value of the 867- finally a non-crippled Pro machine at $1699 or $2699 in Canada is great. I'd wait until the next upgrade to even consider the top of the line.

void

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2002
Not here
i know someone who just purchased a dual ghz box with 2 GB of ram. The extra .25 mhz isn't worth it becuase it is bottlenecked anyways by it's slow-assed system bus. The ram on the otherhand, is great for the after affects, FCP and photoshop work hes doing.

npm

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2002
what chip?

I have the dp 1.25, how do tell which chip is in it? I read in another forum or site that there is a command in terminal that lists the chip in system info, but cannot remember.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Re: Powermac G4 price difference....

Originally posted by Mac2006

I couldn't justify spending nearly $3grand on a new powermac and NOT dropping an additional $500 for the fastest on the market... if you're going to go that far, why not all the way?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by vjv
i know someone who just purchased a dual ghz box with 2 GB of ram. The extra .25 mhz isn't worth it becuase it is bottlenecked anyways by it's slow-assed system bus. The ram on the otherhand, is great for the after affects, FCP and photoshop work hes doing.

You what?????? A Dual 1.25GHz is signicantly swifter than the Dual 1GHz especially in After Effects and Final Cut Pro.......

SIGNIFICANTLY SWIFTER............

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.