Powermac G4 prices to drop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kman12681, Dec 13, 2003.

1. kman12681 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am going to buy a Powermac G4 dual 1.25 (retails from apple store at $1599) and am thinking that the price will probably drop in January after MWSF. I really need this computer soon, but am willing to wait for a price drop. Does anyone think this will happen, and approximately how much of a price decrease do you think it would be? Thanks for any input

2. five04 macrumors member

i think they'll be phased out very soon. with the new (hopefully) g5's coming out. to get rid of inventory, though, i'd think the prices might drop another $100 or so and they'll just be added to the clearance section.

3. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

If I can't get a dual bootable mac to replace my G3 when i can afford to without buying a used dual 1.25Ghz or similar just for OS 9 functionality, the mac is as good as dead to me for my purposes because I simply can't afford to replace hardware such as my Audiomedia III card with a digi002r. Mostly ignoring the cost of software upgrades, the actually cost to me for going for a G5 over a dual G4 is something arouind the £2,500 - £3000 mark. Can't afford that, NEVER going to be able to afford that. A stripped down dual G4 at just above £1,200 is all I can stretch to. After seeing how abysmal the dual 1.8Ghz G4 performs compared with sub $1000 PCs systems and seeing how it's barely faster than the dual G4 for running Protools LE. I think there's a lot of market BS going on about exactly how fast the RAW speed of the G5 is. A dual G4 is still a system apple should be offering.

If anything, new G5s should mean upgrading the dual bootable G4s to somthing like 1.4 or maybe even 1.5Ghz PPC7457s. No pricing change and remaining dual bootable. That would suit me and surely a lot of other people wary of or basically priced out of buying into an OS X only world.

Stupid typo, sorry, meant Dual 1.8Ghz G5!!!

4. kman12681 thread starter macrumors newbie

well, I'll be using the G4 for Final Cut Pro 4 and Pro-Tools 6.0 (LE), so the dual-boot doesn't concern me too much. it's nice to have, but I really don't need OS 9. I just need the G4, which is a tad expensive for me right now

5. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Which is why they DO offer it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: You can buy single or dual 1.25ghz G4 towers :rolleyes:

Go to the apple store website, and scroll down a tad, you will note the picture of a g4 tower :rolleyes:

6. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

well non-existent computers like the dual 1.8Ghz G4 tend to get wasted by computers that exist, like sub-$1000 PC's. :eek: :rolleyes:

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Did a double take there in regards to there being Dual 1.8 G4's. ;)

8. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Yeah I wouldn't mind a Dual 1.25G4, minus all but the Procs, mobo and possibley the case; and build the trest myself, pitty apple have too much pride to offer such a machine to the consumer.