PowerMac G4 problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacBass, Jun 13, 2006.

1. MacBass macrumors 6502

Aug 12, 2005
    La Crosse, WI
    Okay, here's the big long story:

I started out with a PM G4 Digital Audio 533 MHz, thinking it would make for a decent machine that I could upgrade as needed. So I installed an NEC AD-3550 DVD burner, and installed 10.3.9. The drive's burning capabilities was not supported, so recently, I just bought and installed 10.4.6.

Now, the burning capabilities are supported, but when I insert a DVD or CD, it is RARELY recognized and mounted. The same goes with when I plug in my iPod shuffle, which is not mounted in iTunes or on the desktop. Also, Software Update gets about 1/4 of the way in checking for new updates, and hasn't made any progress in the 4 1/2 hours that I left it run this morning.

As for viewing options, I have the box checked for removable media to be mounted.
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    I had one of those for years, and it was quite stable. My dad has it now, and I just recently installed a Pioneer DVR-106 in it, which worked flawlessly.

Assuming that your media-mounting issues are related, and not one problem with your DVD drive and something completely seperate with your Shuffle (are you plugging it in directly, or do you have a USB2 card?), then I can only think you've got a bum OS install. This is assuming you've run through the standard troubleshooting tips (PRAM, disk permissions, fsck/Disk Utility)--if not, start there.

If that doesn't help, you might try some cache cleaner software on the off chance there's a bum cache screwing things up for you. It's an outside possiblity, but worth a crack anyway.

Assuming that fails, try doing an archive-and-install, then downloading the 10.4.6 combo updater (depending on what version came on your install disc, you might otherwise just get the incrimental one from Software Update), then installing that, then a permissions repair for good measure. If that doesn't do it, there's either a persistent preference file giving you trouble, or it's hardware.

By the way, if you force quit Software Update and retry, does it work, or does it always hang? That would be a sign of SOMETHING wrong, though I'm not 100% sure what. Also, does your console log show anything when you're having trouble mounting disks?