Powermac G4 processor question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by edwardk9, Jun 8, 2005.

1. edwardk9 macrumors member

edwardk9

I am about to purchase a cpu upgrade for my sawtooth. My question is am I able to buy a dual cpu and use it in even though this was a single cpu computer to begin with?

I have read a few post on other forums where this was possible but I am not sure how reliable the information is.

2. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

depends on the UNI- version

check on the Sonnet site for an application which checks this for you..

I would vote for the Giga 1.4 single @ $280 from Macgurus.

3. Ikstej24 macrumors regular

My OWC 1.467 works great from Macsales.com

My xBench score was 150 with a Radeon 8500

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Goto the OWC website, at the bottom is "Accelerators" at the bottom, follow that link, and pick your Mac model, that'll tell you what you can use.

5. edwardk9 thread starter macrumors member

edwardk9

Well OWC form says that I can not use a dual processor but sonnet website says I can according to my revision number or something "7 zeros then a number" its a 7 and not a 3 so I assume I can use dual CPU's.

Does anything really take advantage of the two processors?

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Why bother with a dual, your buss is going to slow things down, my advice if you want to stretch that sawtooth is go for a nice fast single. Unless you like to run a bunch of apps at the same time.

7. edwardk9 thread starter macrumors member

edwardk9

I will probably just go from the single. I am assuming that the higher L3 cache is better than the higher clock speeds? It doesn't really matter I am not going to go over 1.4ghz anyways.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Good thinking L3s do matter. A good 1.4 from Owc or Giga would be my suggestion. I have a 1.4 Merc extreme that turns out to be a bumped up 1.25 that runs at 1.47 with some slight mods to my quicksilvercase. Quicksilver is still there and your Sawtooth will be also. Or you could get a newMacmini like my wife :) Interesting isnt it..........old sawtooth upgrade ...or...new mini.......Mini might be a better investment then upgrading that old sawtooth and unless you got a 9800 in it the Mini will outperform it. Plus Tiger............... :eek:

9. edwardk9 thread starter macrumors member

edwardk9

I am running Tiger on it now - while its not blazing its totally acceptable considering its only 450mhz. I have itunes and aquisition running plus firefox while I am typing this.

Granted I have upgrade the hard drive to 7200 8mb cache and have 1.5 gigs of RAM in it so :)

yeah I like to mess around with computers so I wanted to buy a cheap powermac and upgrade it (even though it will probably cost more than just purchasing a new one).

Plus I can add to it as I go.

I will probably get a video card first then a cpu after that.

I think with all the excitement of Intel switch this computer can hold me off for a couple of years until I see what is out there - I wasn't planning on purchasing a new one until about that time anyways.

10. Ikstej24 macrumors regular

I went with OWC because they do the least amount of overclocking. I have the 1.33-1.4 and it uses the 1.33 G4 chip where the others normally use the 1.25. Mine runs stable with no problems at 1.467 and OWC's jumper system makes switching clock speeds a lot easier and faster. On the new ones it is just a switch.