PowerMac G4: Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by andrewdale, Nov 20, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2008
    Memphis, TN
    Hey everyone,

Never make it over here because I'm not lucky enough to have a Mac Pro yet (keyword yet).

So, I have an opportunity to buy an old PowerMac G4. I'm pretty sure it's one of the original machines. I've been told it has VGA, 2 USB and 2 FW ports on it. It doesn't have any HDD or Memory in it, but those can't be too expensive these days. He said there are a couple brackets that are broke, but that its just a little cosmetic.

Price: $20.

Is this worth it? At least it would be fun to play with, right?
  2. macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Sure, why not? Do you know what the specs are? I had G4 sawtooth for over 6 years, and it was great. I sold it to a co-worker who still uses it. They were great machines.
  3. macrumors 68040

Oct 11, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    The machine is not going to be a power machine, but it will totally be a great computer for $20. Hard drives are cheap, but the memory can get expensive since it is no longer being made. Could have going down. It has been a while since I bought PC133 RAM.

There are also process card upgrades available for the G4s, though it is arguable it they are worth the investment.
  4. macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Take it, and if you dont like it, ill grab it from you for $20 :D
  5. macrumors regular

Oct 7, 2008
    Does it come with the disks for OS X? Without a hard drive you're going to need those or get ahold of some Tiger install disks at least - for me anything prior to that is just tough to work with now a days after having used more modern OS s. You can get PC133 2 x 256MB on Ebay for like $10 (I actually just sold some for that price plus $4.50 shipping) and 512MB around $10-15 per stick.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jul 28, 2008
    Plymouth, MI
    $20 is a good price for that for sure. Pick it up, and if you don't like it, use the case to build a Hackintosh in!