powermac G4 to 1U/2U/4U rack conversion?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Choppaface, Jan 7, 2006.

1. macrumors 65816

I have an old dual 500 gigabit ethernet G4 that I want to send to a colocator and I could save a bundle if this thing could be turned into a 1U/2U unit. Does anybody know if anybody has ever posted anything on moving the insides of a G4 box to a 1U/2U case?

Thanks macrumors :)

2. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Marathon used to sell a 4U conversion chassis, also brackets to mount the existing chassis in a rack on its side, but they were absorbed into Griffin a few months ago and the products have disappeared.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

ack :( thanks for the info. I found an xlr8yourmac on a 4U server based on the G4 that used to be offered:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/GVS_9000_4U_Dual_1GHZ/gvs_9000_dual_1ghz_review.html#storytop

but the company that offers them only sells new machines :(

4. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I don't know how pricey of a colo situation you're looking at, but another option might be to pick up a used Xserve and perhaps sell off the tower. There are also places that will colo Mac minis if you don't need much computer out there.

5. adk
    macrumors 68000

adk

Sorry to hijack, but what is the appeals of sending your computer to a colocator?

6. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's often cheaper than having the bandwidth brought to where you are, and someone else gets to worry about power and environment.

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

so far the tower colos I've found are >$100 month and I need <$100/mon so squishing the system down to like 2U would be awesome. New hardware would be exciting but can't really afford it and I have so much stuff on my current box I don't want to deal with moving it all, I'm already playing with a shared hosting package and copying things over is proving a pain. I'm sold as soon as the intel minis ship though :) :)

yep, in my case DSL/cable isn't good enough in my area for what I'm doing and most of the hosting solutions aren't a great fit so finding a place for my G4 at one of the local datacenters is right now my best option.

8. macrumors regular

marco114

2u conversion..

Reviving an old thread...

I am looking at doing a Quicksilver mac to 2u conversion. All the components will fit in a 2U case, it's just a matter of getting it all together. I am going to buy an old 2u Dell case or something like that and gut it and put my mac components in it. I am in a data center and only have 3u left in my rack so space is definitely a concern for me!