PowerMac G4 Vs. iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ChillinNigerian, Jun 1, 2004.

1. ChillinNigerian macrumors newbie

The post title says it all. After looking @ the specs, they seem pretty much the same to me. And i know i cant afford a G5 (unless they give college student discounts) so which one would be a better deal?

2. dragula53 macrumors regular

they give college student discounts

store.apple.com and click educational

3. ChillinNigerian thread starter macrumors newbie

thnx.....

But the G5 still remains at the edge of my budget constraints (with the addition of my desired specs). I mean I COULD buy one, but im not 100% sure its worth it if i can still get a high end machine w/o shelling out so much.

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Wait till WWDC, if nothing new is announced, go with a G4 or an iMac.
    iMacs are *supposted* to be updated at WWDC.
    If you a college student, I recomend getting a laptop if you don't already have one.

5. ChillinNigerian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thnx but..........

First of all, whats WWDC?????

2nd, I am not getting a laptop, although it may be convenient, simply because they get stolen all the time @ colleges (or so i hear). And being as cheap as I am, it would make me extremely angry to have to shell out that much $ in the event of theft. But thnx 4 the suggestions.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

WWDC - World Wide Developers Conference. Apple will most likely introduce updated Powermacs and iMacs during the week that the conference takes place.

7. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

Get a Kensington lock.

If you're worried about theft for a laptop, get a Kensington lock and chain it down. Then buy a laptop. Seriously. It's worth it. Get a 12" PB G4.

I have two laptops here at college, chained down, and no one has stolen them because they'd have to take the desk with them or bring in a hacksaw to saw the desk apart. :D

Plus you probably have insurance that would cover the theft of your computer, in the extremely unlikely event that it would ever happen.

If you're completely set on not getting a laptop, get a Power Mac G4, it's more expandable than an iMac or eMac and definitely more upgradeable. Try and get your hands on a quicksilver, because the mirrored door G4's don't look as cool in my opinion.

8. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

It depends on what you need the computer for--and where you're going to be.

I agree with the idea of looking at laptops by the way--even just checking out very reasonably priced iBooks--which are marvelous computers for college. Nice to be able to take a computer to class to type up notes or write a paper while lounging in bed.

That said,the one advantage of an iMac Flat Panel (you are talking Flat Panel, yes?) is space. If you're going to be in a tight little dorm room, consider the iMac. The base is about the size of a basketball cut in half. Takes up little more room than a dinner plate--not counting keyboard. And the floating screen is, well, a dream. Great to watch movies on. Or use as a stero during parties--you just let iTunes run and put the groovy visuals on the screen :p In short, the perfect computer if all you're going to have is a tiny desk in the corner of a tiny room.

I have an iMac Flat Panel and I just love it. But then, my requirements for it are pretty simple. Email, Office, iPhoto, GarageBand, iTunes, Safari. Not much more. What do you need your computer to do?

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Get a laptop. Half of the freshman on my floor are selling their desktops this summer and getting laptops because I use mine in the lounge all the time. If you're worried about theft, just lock your door. Also it should be covered under your parents home owner insurance so if it is stolen you'll get a new one.

Over this past year of college I've never heard of one laptop stolen. I've heard of a chair and a bike (and the mass stealing of bike seats) but not a laptop. Though one guy took away this one girl's laptop because she was a bitch. As long as you're not a bitch, I think a laptop purchase shall be fine.

(P.s. If you can't go for a Powerbook, iBooks are still great machines. A few designers at Zipatoni's had iBooks even. If they're powerful enough for Photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator/etc. then you should have no probs.)

10. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Regardless of what you get, wait until after June, when there will be iMac G5s and other updated goodies. Then make your decision.

And I'll be another one to recommend a laptop. They're awesome. That way you can put it in a drawer (or lock it if you must). Chicks love a dorm room that's more for livin' and less for computin'.

Lee Tom

11. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

to further echo the thoughts of others: get a laptop. the portability is great for a college student. just get a lock and you should be fine. the imac is just as easy to steal as a laptop anyway.

12. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i'd second getting an ibook, especially since the imacs haven't been updated forever the ibooks are just as fast but they are portable