Powermac g4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marioandretti12, Oct 27, 2005.

1. marioandretti12 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a powermac g4 B&W dual 533 mhz processor, 768 mb ram( plan to upgrade to 1.5 gigs) and mac os 10.3. I'm new to macs and this is my first. I bought it, because it was cheap and i wanted to tinker with video editing and little things for fun and was wondering if it sufficient enough to do so, i plan on getting a bigger hd as it has only 30gb. Thanks fior any info, if you plan to flame me please dont as i have already bout the mac and its useless to.

2. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

It should be fine for video editing, albeit a bit slow compared to new machines, Panther (10.3) is the last stable OS-X release, IMHO. Tiger is too buggy. Yeah, max the RAM and upgrade the hard drive. You have a fine machine, rock on! :)

3. ibglowin macrumors regular

FYI:

I'm pretty sure the largest supported internal HD for that machine is a 120GB IDE.

4. Monyx macrumors member

They are reliable machines. My G4 DP500 mhz has served me well since 2001, if a little slow using OSX 10.3.9 FCP 4.1, DVDSP3, PShop CS. I'm also suffering a bit of a bottleneck since I installed a 3rd HD in the zip bay - having system drive on the ATA33 bus isn't fast but it frees up the 2 ATA/66 for use as media drives.

5. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Yeah, I just noticed that. Maybe it's one of those processor upgrades? :confused:

6. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I was just thinking the same thing :confused:
    And I don't think that you can upgrade the B&W to a dual G4 anything since it is a Zif processor.

marioandretti1,

It's probably a Digital Audio which can be upgraded up to a dual 1.8ghz. or a single 2.0 Ghz.
    Take a look at: Other World Computing for all your upgrade needs.

7. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Perhaps he means Black/Grey & White (as most G4s are), not Blue & White.

In other words, this one.

8. marioandretti12 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, yes i meant black white and grey, if you all could post me a link to find apple specific ram for my rig and a new video cards that would be great! I'm use to Pc's and have a gaming rig of my own but wanted a mac for fun plus mac's r hella hawt. Any added infor for a first time mac'er please let me know.