PowerMac G4

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sach504, Dec 29, 2002.

1. sach504 macrumors member

i just got the new powermac g4. i get home and turn it on and it makes a ton of noise! some sort of humming. none of them at the apple store made any noise. so is this normal or do i need to take it back?

2. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

I guess the new power mac is being called windtunnel because of the fan noise. I have heard that there is a software update to fix this, check apple's support pages.

3. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

the only ddr powermacs ive seen are pretty loud, its not a rare thing, apple tried fixing it with a firmware update, but it didnt do much fixing for most ppl

4. ianimate3d macrumors member

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

mine is quiet as a mouse, im not lying either. im very lucky because i hear much complaining. i have no complaints with mine. i leave it on right next to me when i got to bed. my pc seems louder. they are both pretty quiet.

iJon

6. DjRedo macrumors newbie

This really interested me, as I have similar problems (G4 standing next to the couch where my girlfriend wathes TV) :)

I looked for the update, and Apple has in fact released a Firmware update to alter the usage of "high gearing" on the fan. You can find it at:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120171

I have not installed it, so I´m not sure how much it affects the general noise. There are several other "patents" for reducing the noise as well. One might just be getting some rubber (or other dapmping material) under the G4, as the noise can get amplified a lot by furniture etc. This one however brought me the significant noise reduction, if you are willing to do a little easy "engineering"...

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@67.Cb6saZEreO4.30@.3bbcbd48
    At least you can relax asured that its nothing wrong with your G4. In a couple of years your level of hearing perhaps will have reduced the problem to a minimum... :)

Good Luck!

7. DjRedo macrumors newbie

As I didn´t know it when posting, the firware only works on the "mirrored drive doors" G4, and not on my blue cutie... So It should help the original poster, but not those of you going deaf with your older G4s..

the next time I will wait until installing before posting... Im just answering to kill time while Im waiting for an answer to my IP problems post... Sorry folks...
    ;)