Powermac g5 1.8 or Imac 1.8

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by xalex1, Dec 22, 2004.

1. xalex1 macrumors newbie

May 15, 2004
    Wich one do you think should be faster ? or better,Powermac g5 1.8 or iMac 1.8. I want the best performance. the thing is that ill have to get a screen with the powermac.

Had the PB 1.333mhz, with 768ram, But the performance of what i was doing seem kind of slugish ( Also had multiple problems with the screen). What do you think ?

I plan to use the folowing programs:

Macromedia Flash, fireworks...
    Adobe photoshop, illustrator.
    Maya sometimes.
  2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    If you like to upgrade your machines as time goes on, you'll be happier in the long run with the Power Mac. If you never or very rarely upgrade your machines, the iMac will keep you happy.

If you're happy with the nVidia FX5200, 2GB maximum RAM and one internal HDD (which at the moment you can upgrade to a maximum of 400GB), go for the iMac.

If you'd like to upgrade your graphics card somewhere down the line (up to and beyond the ATI Radeon 9800 / nVidia 6800), and have a higher RAM ceiling (4GB for the current 1.8 single, 8GB for the previous 1.8 single), and have built-in space for two HDDs (5 more can fit inside using aftermarket brackets), go for the Power Mac.

As far as the monitor goes, you can start out with a basic budget monitor and upgrade that later too with the Power Mac. The iMac's screen is pretty but you'll always be limited to it.
  3. xalex1 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 15, 2004
    But for example , If i have both computers stock side to side, wich one is the fastest ? Gives the best perfomance?
  4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Probably the PowerMac but there may not be too much in it.

God, you could have the fastest Mac in creation but if you're clicking and pointing instead of using scripts & keyboard shortcuts, it's virtually irrelevant.

It's not always the fastest that counts but which goes the furthest...
    (ie. where do you want to be 2 years down the line? Stuck with a hard-to-upgrade machine or something that can grow with you?)
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Powermac g5 1.8 or Imac 1.8...

They are both basically the same machine... they are both built on the same platform (chipset) and should perform nearly identically when the memory, GPU, and HDs are the same.

The iMac gives you a nice built in LCD at the expense of some future expandability.

The PowerMac gives you some PCI slots, extra drive bay, GPU slot, and a couple of extra DIMM slots at the expense of a built-in LCD.

Since they are running the same chipset and should run nearly equal, it'll come down to what you want more... LCD Display or expandability.

When you choose a DP PowerMac, you step up to the PowerMac/XServe chipset and a 2nd CPU -- so you will see a performance gap.

With the iMac G5 vs SP 1.8 PM G5 rev. B -- the PowerMac has the "ability" to be faster than an iMac G5 -- due to a faster video card, extra RAM or two drives set up as a RAID. But it comes down to wanting more than the standard configuration, or upgrading select items on the PowerMac that would be soldering in or missing on the iMac.
  6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV

The Power Mac G5 is quieter than the iMac G5 if you're ever running it at 100% for a while.
  7. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    I wanted an ibook and i use the same programs as this guy and he says his pb was slow. Jeez the ibook is probably gonna suck then. Or this guys idea of slow is a 2.0 g5 compared to a 2.5 g5 haha