Resolved PowerMac G5 2.7 DP reparation

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by phoenixsan, Apr 10, 2013.

1. phoenixsan, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Hello again all....!

So a person knowing I am fond of Macs and tinkering, bring me a PowerMac G5 2.7 DP to check it out. I thoroughly tested the machine and the FireWire 400, FireWire 400 and USB 2.0 ports are all dead/failing. Contact a friend of mine with a private Mac workshop and he can sell me a motherboard for this model for $350. Also the person wants to add wireless capability to the machine. So, I come for advice in these questions:

a)- What would be better: Buy the motherboard or PCI cards with USB and FireWire ports? If buying the cards, what do you suggest (brands/models)?

b)-About the wireless, can it be done? What I have to look/search or buy? Recommendations?

As always, I appreciate the help/pointers/advice and thank you so much in advance.

:):apple:

2. macrumors 68000

Goftrey

It'd probably be cheaper to buy another G5 full stop. Even the quads struggle to go for more than £200 (~$300) over here, and that'd give your friend more beef & a more reliable machine.

3. macrumors 65816

tevion5

^^ Exactly.

Also about the wireless, yes it can easily be done and there are multiple PCI wifi cards that will work out of the box. Just a google away. ;)

4. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Thanks.....

for the suggestion. I checked eBay and sees machines like this going from $275 to $1000 or something (heavily upgraded). Will coment my findings and your advice with the owner and report back.

Thanks again for the comments.

5. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Would....

buy a new machine for my client ($325 or so). Also, will buy the motherboard, do some upgrades with parts I have here getting dust and buy the computer damaged. Will sell it to a buyer willing to pay $425.

Thanks again for the input and advice.

6. macrumors 6502

Colpeas

7. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

8. macrumors regular

I agree. Especially with the myriad LCS issues the 2.7s had.

If you're going to run a G5 long-term for whatever reason and you plan to put more than $100 of parts/upgrades into it, it makes tons of sense to just invest in a Quad.